Promise Creepers Cult

Melanie

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

Wayne Aiken wrote:

> Mike Doughney (mi...@mtd.com) wrote:
> : I'm very distressed that there are no coherent dissenting voices
> : getting any real exposure in American media, and if anything, the few
> : statements that do appear seem to be completely out of touch with the
> : reality of PK spokesmen's statments and rally images.
>
> There were plenty of dissenting voices protesting outside the rally.
> You'll see very few of them in the media- which in DC replayed *all* of
> McCartney's opening prayer.
>
> --
>
> Holy Temple of Mass $ sl...@ncsu.edu atheist#304 $ "My used underwear
> Consumption! $ http://www4.ncsu.edu/~aiken/ $ is legal tender in
> PO Box 30904 $ Warning: I hoard pennies $ 28 countries!"
> Raleigh, NC 27622 $ BBS: (919) 954-5028 $ --"Bob"

Actually, considering the difference in numbers and that the event
was a PK event, (not a NOW event) that was being protested, I thought
that the coverage of the dissenters was given lots of time, at least in
our local media. The National Public Radio coverage was interesting,
not only covering dissenters, but an interview with a homosexual man who
went to Promise Keepers with his brother, and the response he got from
his liberal friends.

--Melanie

Melanie

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

Rob Clark wrote:

> On 6 Oct 1997 07:30:11 GMT, mi...@mtd.com (Mike Doughney) wrote:
>
> [excellent rant on promise keepers from mike doughney deleted]
>
> you know, it only took one thing to turn me against promise keepers
> permanently. their own publicity still on the front page of USA today has
> the lurching zombies, eyes clenched rigidly shut, obviously in some
> sort of trance.
>
> promise keepers organize in self-criticism cells of five or six, rather
> like mao tse tung's communist party.
>
> promise keepers lie about their political agenda and abuse 501(c)(3)
> tax-exemption with blatant lobbying for legislation.
>
> promise keepers is a crypto-supremacist white male domination group.
>
> promise kkkreepers is just totalitarianism sneaking in the back door,
> as the communists had their fabians.]
>
> >The Promise Keepers event this past weekend may well have been the
> >largest single religious indoctrination session in history. In those
> >six hours, in the hot sun and (for the most part) forgetting to eat
> >lunch, men were broken down completely and then given explicit
> >obedience instructions. They may have been instructions to follow
> >God's word, but those of us who bother to think through such things
> >know that God's word is delivered only by religious leaders.

Not since England in the 1500's, thanks to the printing press. God's
word is in the Bible. Anyone can read it. Also, if you are dedicated,
you can even learn the original language and read it. I certainly don't
put what any religious leader says over the content.

> >I'm very distressed that there are no coherent dissenting voices
> >getting any real exposure in American media, and if anything, the few
> >statements that do appear seem to be completely out of touch with the
> >reality of PK spokesmen's statments and rally images.

I disagree...we have heard Patricia Ireland, et al. ad naseum here.

> >We have NOW leaders saying that PK is bad for women, while PK wives
> >only insist that it's good for them. We see images of topless
> >lesbians, another extreme image that gets airplay but doesn't make
> >people think. And no voices are heard explaining why PK is a movement
> >that will eventually grow to demand submission from everyone who
> >isn't a white-male Christian of their flavor - whether through
> >governmental control or group action.

Oh brother...

> >Fact is, PK is as political as the song sung during the rally's climax
> >- "I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb." We on the outside all know that
> >this song (see lyrics at http://www.elpasoanvil.org/hanvil9704.htm)
> >has obvious political overtones and is a call to mass action, but like
> >a PK rally, the call to political action is not overt, but implied.
> >And I last heard this song being sung by Operation Rescue blockaders
> >on the steps of a women's health center, so obviously it's a favorite
> >among those who think any action, even illegal action, is just fine to
> >advance their cause.

The song was probably sung by Operation Rescue because it is a religious
song. They also sang Amazing Grace. So, now I guess Joan Baez is a
radical religious right "freak" because Operation Rescue sings Amazing
Grace. Uh huh... Is all your thinking this illogical?

> >PK is not a political movement - it is a cultural movement. It will
> >become political in due course, or as you suggest, other groups will
> >come forward to do the political work. As an analogy, consider PK the
> >act of changing out the hardware, while politics is the software.
> >Current hardware is not capable of running Christian-based theocratic
> >fascism. Should PK pull off the reforming of American culture that
> >they seek - and I think that they, aided by the slow cultural changes
> >of the past two decades, are well along in this process - they may
> >well replace the hardware of American culture with a system that will
> >support a fascist regime.
> >
> >As for the cultic thought-reform methods being used, the coercive
> >non-consensual nature of what actually happens at these rallies may be
> >a weak point at which criticism could be directed. Unfortunately
> >though, I'm finding that these methods are acceptable and woven into
> >the practices of a very large number of churches, and in most forms
> >aren't even noticed by the general public. I'm seeing repetition,
> >fatigue, misdirection and deception - to name just a few examples -
> >used on the streets in front of women's health clinics, to control
> >anti-abortion blockaders, in plain view of everyone, and few object on
> >those grounds or even notice. These actions are seen as political
> >actions, acts of speech or religious expression that should somehow be
> >"protected," rather than the exercise and practice of group control by
> >leaders through coercive means that they actually are, and attempts to
> >direct that control against those that dare disagree by purchasing a
> >legal service.

Actually, I have been to a few of the events you mention. Whether or
not anyone was "sleep" deprived was their own choice, most of the time.
I got to bed plenty early enough. Apparently you equate any sort of
worship of God to be "brain-washing" no matter how voluntary the
decision is. I disagree.

> >I fear that this kind of group action will be extended to other
> >aspects of our culture, and freedoms that people take for granted.
> >I suspect, and the Washington Post survey also suggests, that PK may
> >well be attracting corporate executives and business owners. What
> >would happen if discrimination against gays or women became overt
> >practice at thousands of workplaces, in open defiance of the law?
> >Governmental enforcement would be irrelevant, in the same way that,
> >for instance, abortion becomes increasingly unavailable despite its
> >legality or laws protecting access as the result of group action
> >making the service of abortion too costly to provide.

Well...the abortion access part breaks my heart! NOT. What if men
starting supporting the women they impregate and they don't want to
choose abortion quite so often because they feel supported? Or doesn't
that fit into your view of "choice."

> >We freethinkers and allies face what I think is a grave threat, and I
> >see few solutions.

You are no more freethinking than anyone else. Being anti-God makes you
a slave to your views equally with anyone else. God sure gave me the
capacity to think freely.

> >Secularism doesn't make for pretty pictures for the evening news. If
> >there ever were pretty pictures, perhaps they come from the America of
> >my childhood. Democracy, pluralism, religious diversity, and the idea
> >that people were free and had rights despite what they might think,
> >were values that we shared in the face of the Communist totalitarians.
> >Our shared icons, in the form of the U.S. flag, Declaration of
> >Independence, Bill of Rights, and the monuments to our past leaders in
> >Washington, were visible symbols of those values. And I learned these
> >values in 8 years of Catholic primary school!

Then, obviously, being religious did not take away from those values.

> >Today, what do we have? A movement that insists that those leaders,
> >along with some nebulous group dubbed the "Founding Fathers," were
> >Christians and intended the United States to be a Christian nation -
> >rewriting history to suit their needs, or more accurately, calm their
> >fears by providing a feeling of historical inevitability. Over two
> >hundred years of American secularism is thrown out the window, and the
> >Supreme Court is seen as the enemy, as its actions seldom support the
> >theocratic view. They produce logos that place our flag behind a
> >Christian cross, or replace the flag's stars with a cross, to drive
> >home the new order: "God's law" displaces man's law.

Now you are taking a view of the minority and transposing it onto
everyone at PK. Yes, we were founded on Judeo-Christian principles,
though one can find similar principles in other faiths. It is just as
foolish to suggest that it had no impact on American culture as to say
that all shared the same beliefs amongst the founding fathers.

> >When they come to Washington, it is to establish their church in a
> >place ringed with monuments to people they are painting as Christian
> >saints. It is to take that space, those symbols, for themselves,
> >excluding all others if not targeting them for intensive conversion.
> >During the climactic last hour of the rally, my partner and I - she an
> >unrepentant pagan bisexual - were surrounded by a group on our Mall,
> >led by a pastor, who prayed (preyed) over without our consent. They
> >unsuccessfully attempted to join hands and surround us on all sides so
> >as to not let us leave, but they were unable to complete their circle
> >in the crowd. She openly shared with them her beliefs and lifestyle,
> >all we received in return was to be treated not as people with
> >differing viewpoints but as objects to be converted, by force if
> >necessary - squarely in the middle of the Mall!

I think you are paranoid.

> >I also believe that we're being done in by technological advances,
> >mainly that of cheap global bandwidth. Today we listen to the radio
> >news, and the stories we hear are of fatal traffic accidents on the
> >other side of the planet that can fit in a few seconds; discussion of
> >real issues gets ghettoized on NPR, but only if you're lucky. Three
> >hundred channels are delivered to our living rooms, and in the chaos,
> >to get above the noise, editors are forced to deliver pretty pictures
> >and not talking heads. We end up with pretty pictures of people being
> >emotional for all the wrong reasons in the middle of a large beautiful
> >choreographed TV show interspersed with a few brief seconds of a
> >talking head saying that they don't like it because <insert group
> >here> might be affected eventually. This won't work.
> >
> >Meanwhile, technology favors the religious. They can hold a huge
> >event with attendees a mile away from the stage, but each individual
> >there can see captioned video of every moment on Jumbotron
> >screens. Bill McCartney boasts that they were managed to obtain the
> >Jumbotrons despite the fact that they were supposed to go to a Rolling
> >Stones concert. Why is this important, and why is it likely that the
> >PK organization paid a massive premium for the units? Because the
> >Jumbotron is key to asserting control over each individual in the mass
> >event. People must see the captions to sing along, they must see the
> >emotional outpouring and the demonstrations of cracking under and
> >submitting happening on the stage, if they are to fully participate -
> >loudspeakers are not sufficient to achieve the emotional impact
> >necessary for conversion and indoctrination.

Maybe it is less sinister...not all those people fit in one building and
people like to be able to see. So what is your alternative...ban the
PK, don't let them assemble freely...so much for the Bill of Rights.
Your free to dissent, currently and hold your meetings openly, rent
Jumbotrons, if you so choose.

> >Technology also enables milleu control, so that a person could live
> >their entire life viewing many channels of sanitized Christian media.
> >Just go to the Promise Keepers web site, and you'll see advertised
> >there the "Sky Angel" DBS TV and radio system which is billed as
> >carrying a future all-PK TV channel. The service is packaged in such
> >a way as to exclude secular television channels from their basic
> >service.

That is their choice. What if someone just doesn't like watching
"violent" shows for entertainment. Will you equally condemn them.
People should be able to watch whatever they choose, sanitized or not.

> >Religion as practiced by PK will produce a single minority bloc which
> >will, if unopposed by sophisticated means, become the root of a
> >dominant political force in this country. The left hasn't even
> >figured out what's going on. We have Geraldine Ferraro saying that
> >she "doesn't understand these guys" on CNN, and we have our allegedly
> >Democratic President endorsing the PK's "family values." The left as
> >we know it is toast, so don't expect political maneuvering as we've
> >known it to moderate the PK influence.
> >
> >Wearing atheist jewelry and complaining about a few obscure lumps of
> >rock in a San Francisco park isn't opposition to the encroaching
> >Christian theocracy; whimpering about tax exemptions for churches
> >doesn't cut it either. A massive movement to reaffirm this country's
> >commitment to pluralism and freedom, combined with clear messages with
> >emotional content defining and reintroducing America to its
> >traditional basic values, might make some difference. But I have
> >plenty of reason to be pessimistic.

Values which you were taught in a parochial school.

> >Germany teaches its children not to blindly obey; why haven't we?
> >--
> >------------- Copyright (c) 1997 All Rights Reserved. --------------
> >----- "I am Promise Keeper of Borg. Prepare to be assimilated." -----
> >Mike Doughney ---- mi...@mtd.com ---- http://mtd.com ---- PP-ASEL

Excuse me, but the whole message of Operation Rescue was not to blindly
obey the authorities. Just because you don't agree with the philosophy
behind it doesn't make it blind obedience. Obviously, there is a place
for respect and obedience or we'd have no society at all. You are more
than a little paranoid here.

--Melanie

Mike Doughney

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In article <616e7r$3n5$1...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>,
William Barwell <wbar...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> wrote:
>In article <19971004204...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
>JimDBB <jim...@aol.com> wrote:
>>Does anybody know if the Promise Keepers have received tax-exempt status?
>>
>> As somebody pointed out, this is a frightening cult developing. I
>> received an
>> email from them as a result of my earlier post on her. they, of course,
>> insist that they are not a cult. Does this sound familiar?

<snip>

> [...]

she "doesn't understand these guys" on CNN, and we have our allegedly
Democratic President endorsing the PK's "family values." The left as
we know it is toast, so don't expect political maneuvering as we've
known it to moderate the PK influence.

Wearing atheist jewelry and complaining about a few obscure lumps of
rock in a San Francisco park isn't opposition to the encroaching
Christian theocracy; whimpering about tax exemptions for churches
doesn't cut it either. A massive movement to reaffirm this country's
commitment to pluralism and freedom, combined with clear messages with
emotional content defining and reintroducing America to its
traditional basic values, might make some difference. But I have
plenty of reason to be pessimistic.

Germany teaches its children not to blindly obey; why haven't we?

Mike Doughney

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

Wayne Aiken

Rob Clark

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

On 6 Oct 1997 07:30:11 GMT, mi...@mtd.com (Mike Doughney) wrote:

[excellent rant on promise keepers from mike doughney deleted]

you know, it only took one thing to turn me against promise keepers
permanently. their own publicity still on the front page of USA today has
the lurching zombies, eyes clenched rigidly shut, obviously in some
sort of trance.

promise keepers organize in self-criticism cells of five or six, rather
like mao tse tung's communist party.

promise keepers lie about their political agenda and abuse 501(c)(3)
tax-exemption with blatant lobbying for legislation.

promise keepers is a crypto-supremacist white male domination group.

promise kkkreepers is just totalitarianism sneaking in the back door,
as the communists had their fabians.]

>The Promise Keepers event this past weekend may well have been the

Brenda Nelson

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997 us...@msn.com wrote:

:I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
:of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
:great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
:strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
:for their wives and children.
:Perry Murtz

Okay, Perry, you want to know what we're afraid of? Try this: Pat
Robertson, a fervent supporter of Promise Keepers and its
crypto-fascist political agenda, says that atheists deserve the death
penalty, perferrably by stoning. Not to mention that he would, if in
power, forbid anyone to hold public office that didn't pass a
fundamentalist litmus test.

And this: George Herbert Walker Bush, then President of the United
States (and golden-haired boy of the Religious Right) opined that he
didn't believe atheists could be proper citizens of the US, nor did he
think all the rights and protections of the Constitution applied to us.

Apart from those two glaringly concrete examples of what the Religious
Right has in store for atheists, agnostics, freethinkers, skeptics (not
to mention Muslims, Buddhists, Traditional Native Americans,
practitioners of Santeria, etc., etc., etc.) we are afraid of living in
a country where superstition rules and rational thought is driven
underground. Like Iran is today, or Europe during the Dark Ages.

We are afraid of the Thought Police, the Soul Police, the Cops for
Christ, the Galilee Gestapo, and all other existing or pre-emergent
groups who would gleefully take away our freedoms and our citizenship
merely because we have a different spiritual orientation than that of
the fundies. If you think they wouldn't do it, then you haven't done
your homework. Scarcely a week goes by without *somebody* from that
camp spelling out how they're gonna make life miserable for the rest of
us once America is "restored to God." <Shudder>

I'd say that was enough to scare anybody. Certianly enough to scare
anybody who believes (or purports to believe) in the principles upon
which this country was *actually* founded - freedom of/from religion,
separation of Church and State, and the right of each of us to live our
lives as we see fit.

Brenda

Number 34 on The A.A. List, and proud of it!
"To sum up: 1. The cosmos is a gigantic fly-wheel making 10,000
revolutions a minute. 2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it. 3.
Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to
give him the ride." H. L. Mencken
I just *work* for the University of Arizona. (1997 NCAA BASKETBALL
CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) My opinions are my own.

saint andreux

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

us...@msn.com wrote:

> I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
> of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
> great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
> strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
> for their wives and children.
> Perry Murtz

First off, these "true American values" that you speak of
as being "strong families, blacks & whites living together
in harmony", these things can not stand "once again" as
they haven't fully ever stood before.

If it was simply nothing more than a christian group
attempting to strengthen the familial bonds, then I doubt
anyone would raise an eyebrow.

But, look at what it's creating as a side product: a large
body of citizens who have been asked to follow the wishes
of the majority, led by McCartney.

This body has tremendous power: the power to sway elections,
the power of financial support, and the power to limit by
way of the previous two, the freedoms of others.

What is frightening is not that they want to create an
alternative to the world that is pleasing to their moral
code, but that they would be able to destroy things that
they may consider to be contrary to their code.

Example:

If the Promise Keepers are upset that there are subjects
such as sexuality, non-christian religions, or anything
that does not fall within their ideas of how the world
should be on a medium such as television, they could
create an alternate channel or network that conforms with
their ideals, and I doubt if anyone with a decent idea
of freedom would mind. More power to them, in fact!

However, if the Promise Keepers then tried to eliminate
the other channels or networks which allow such subjects,
that is a restriction of freedom. THAT is what is being
feared.

--
$T.&REUX,KSC --><-- O G Y R N E T W O R K www.prairienet.org/~saint
SacraMenstrual Church of the SubGenius Local 451 Outreach Ministry

Ray Fischer

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

<us...@msn.com> wrote:
>I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
>of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
>great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
>strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
>for their wives and children.

Gee. That sounds just like the propaganda Hitler used. God, country,
and family. In fact, it's a line used by despots and dictators
throughout history.

Does THAT answer your question?

--
Ray Fischer
r...@netcom.com

saint andreux

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

Rev Chuck wrote:

> What are _you_ so afraid of should xnity continue to atrophy and die?

Rev. Chuck,

I'm sorry to point out something, but Christianity is far
from being in atrophy a/o a dying phase.

Christianity will still be around years from now. Not many
religions pass the 2000 year mark.

The main reason why it will still be around is that it is
an "open date" apocalyptic religion. There is the promise
of rapture "very soon", but not claiming a given date.
Therefore, until the rapture happens, which may be never,
Christianity will continue to exist.

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

Yamudda Wezamibootz wrote:

> Mike Doughney <mi...@mtd.com> whined:

> > I'm very distressed that there are no coherent dissenting voices
> > getting any real exposure in American media, and if anything, the few
> > statements that do appear seem to be completely out of touch with the
> > reality of PK spokesmen's statments and rally images.
>
> If the dissenting voices aren't coherent, whose fault is that?

I myself would blame the reactionary plutocrats who control the media,
thereby miscasting any dissenting voices as "extremists." For example,
the sad excuse for a newspaper with which my city is saddled wrote a
glowing endorsement of the Promise Keepers on its op-ed page, and then
put right alongside it a blurb about some "Lesbian Avengers" who took
off their tops to protest their march on Washington. In a part of the
USA where people still write letters to the editor in crayon, this is
tantamount to suggesting that only a topless bulldyke could oppose the
Promise Keepers: a fact that the shitstains who edit our newspaper know
full well. They may have had a sense of ethics back in journalism
school, but they've long since peddled it to Al Neuharth and his bean
counters.

- Raoul D. Xemblinosky III -=-=-=-=-=-=- -- . --- .-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
a.f.k-m.n "Meow meow Henrietta Pussycat meow meow
alt.flame meow The Presidents of the United States
alt.evil of America meow Kitty?" -- Matt Bruce
- http://super.zippo.com/~shpxurnq -=-=- hfw sux -=-=-=- mhm 15x12 -=

Gregg Hagglund

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

>I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
>of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
>great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
>strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
>for their wives and children.

>Perry Murtz

The Abomination in the eyes of God of the Promise Keepers is
the silent agenda: Women *in their place* and *the Christian
interpretation* (via McCartney) of what is valid and valuable.

The PK agenda doesn't mention *publicly and openly* the
limitations it would impose on American Society, just that it
wants more *men* to take responsiblilty.
PK is much more dangerous than the Co$ in its final aim
of eliminating nonbiblicly defined freedoms in the US, because
they actually are rapidly gaining the political clout to achieve
this.
A miltant bible-thumping Theocracy in the US would be a
disaster for Americans and others too. They are hardly likely
to limit themselves to just the US. Afterall, they would have
God, as defined by *them* on their side, right?
Theocracies do not foster free thinking, free speech, or
freedom of religion or association.
Look to Iran and remember the witch burnings and the
Dark Times and shudder deeply.

And now please take this thread elsewhere. While interesting
and more than vaguely related it is still off-topic. :)

Best,

Gregg SP4
http://www.cgocable.net/~elrond
--
" I'm sure it's obvious to all who read my stuff, that I have
serious problems when it comes to being able to communicate."

$cientology Lawyer Bait: Co$ cures Cancer?:

"Step Four - Cures for Illness You will now find BTs and clusters
being cures for illnesses of the body part. Handle all such BTs and
clusters by blowing them off. 'Cures for Illness' will then cease to read."
--- ררר L.R.Hubbard © ??? ---

Frida

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

us...@msn.com wrote:

> I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
> of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
> great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
> strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
> for their wives and children.
> Perry Murtz
I'm curious what you mean by "once great nation." Do you mean back when
slavery was your national policy or before that when the native peoples
were being annihilated? god will bring you back to this greatness? I
think you are talking about a time when white males completely dominated
over all they surveyed. No?

Paul England

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

> Theists control the media? Oh, no! Can it be true?

Come to Wisconsin where the anything (and I mean anything) the Catholic
Church does will be the top story in all newscasts.

Melanie

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

Gregg Hagglund wrote:

> In article <#LkjqHo0...@upnetnews02.moswest.msn.net>, <us...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> >I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
> >of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
> >great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
> >strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
> >for their wives and children.
> >Perry Murtz
>
> The Abomination in the eyes of God of the Promise Keepers is
> the silent agenda: Women *in their place* and *the Christian
> interpretation* (via McCartney) of what is valid and valuable.

Women in their place in the eyes of God is as a partner. Read all of
it, not just a narrow portion. I have some other concerns regarding
certain aspects of PK, but I do not fault the teachings I've read on
women and the family.

> The PK agenda doesn't mention *publicly and openly* the
> limitations it would impose on American Society, just that it
> wants more *men* to take responsiblilty.
> PK is much more dangerous than the Co$ in its final aim
> of eliminating nonbiblicly defined freedoms in the US, because
> they actually are rapidly gaining the political clout to achieve
> this.

Personally, I think you are attributing the view of a very few
Christians to PK, which is not only unfair, but inaccurate.

> A miltant bible-thumping Theocracy in the US would be a
> disaster for Americans and others too. They are hardly likely
> to limit themselves to just the US. Afterall, they would have
> God, as defined by *them* on their side, right?

I'm not after any theocracy. I'm after individuals controlled by God.
Governments are already subject to him...whether they know it or not.
Read Romans 13.

> Theocracies do not foster free thinking, free speech, or
> freedom of religion or association.
> Look to Iran and remember the witch burnings and the
> Dark Times and shudder deeply.

Most Christians do not hold to Dominion theology and would not support
a Theocracy.

> And now please take this thread elsewhere. While interesting
> and more than vaguely related it is still off-topic. :)
>
> Best,
>
> Gregg SP4
> http://www.cgocable.net/~elrond
> --

Where is it showing up off-topic (besides talk.abortion)? I can imagine
the Scn. ng. Is that where you are?

--Melanie

Yomama Sophat

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

Wayne Aiken <ai...@unity.ncsu.edu> obsessed:

> There were plenty of dissenting voices protesting outside the rally.
> You'll see very few of them in the media- which in DC replayed *all*
of
> McCartney's opening prayer.

Theists control the media? Oh, no! Can it be true?

Yamudda Wezamibootz

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

Mike Doughney <mi...@mtd.com> whined:

> I'm very distressed that there are no coherent dissenting voices
> getting any real exposure in American media, and if anything, the few
> statements that do appear seem to be completely out of touch with the
> reality of PK spokesmen's statments and rally images.

If the dissenting voices aren't coherent, whose fault is that?

Michelle Malkin

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In <rayEHn...@netcom.com> r...@netcom.com (Ray Fischer) writes:

><us...@msn.com> wrote:
>>I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
>>of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
>>great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
>>strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
>>for their wives and children.
>
>Gee. That sounds just like the propaganda Hitler used. God, country,
>and family. In fact, it's a line used by despots and dictators
>throughout history.
>
>Does THAT answer your question?
>
>--
>Ray Fischer
>r...@netcom.com

And, did you notice the 'men providing for their wives' bit? That's
fine, if it's what the wife wants, but what if she wants to work
outside the home or not be married at all and totally self-supporting?
You can bet these Neo-Nazis won't allow that kind of thinking for a
minute.

Also, once they got into power, you can bet that any members of the
group from other than the white race will suddenly find themselves
without a voice or any power at all in important decisions. Hopefully,
the non-white members of this cult will come to their senses and
recognize this cult for what it is - a pre-Nazi power grab using
religion in the same way the Communists used atheism to gain power and
control over
non-members lives.

Mickey

Therion Ware

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

On 7 Oct 1997 03:43:35 GMT, malk...@ix.netcom.com(Michelle Malkin)
wrote:

One might note that this is not speculation, but has been shown to be
the case. Take a look at the role of the Promise Keepers in Nicaragua
during the Rios Montt years (and the Christian Right in general). One
will find widespread torture, and the virtual decimation of the native
indian population amongst other traditional Christian pastimes.

Rgds
Therion
------ ------
Hell is a city much like Dis, and it's Pandemonium for
"why this is Hell, nor am I out of it".
------
Beautiful Rosewood Furniture From Malaysia To Your Door
at less than half the European or US price.
------ <http://www.geocities.com/~tware/rw/home.html>
(under construction)

William Barwell

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In article <343912...@ns.net>, Melanie <wmn...@ns.net> wrote:

>Ceon Ramon wrote:
>>
>> In article <#LkjqHo0...@upnetnews02.moswest.msn.net>,
>> <us...@msn.com> wrote:
>> >I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
>> >of"?
>>
>> Three words: THE HANDMAID'S TALE.
>>
>> Margaret Atwood. Read it.
>>
>> --Barbara
>
>While we're discussing fiction...Have you read, This Present Darkness?

I have heard some interesting segments of speeches given at various PK
rallies of the past on Pacifica Radio's Democracy Now program.
Creepy stuff.
Obviously, in a big media oriented rally such as we just had in
Washington, they are going to lay off the more outre and creepy stuff.
I heard a segment of a speech some woman gave at a PK rally. Ugh! Never
have I heard somebody so debase herself! Hand Maiden's Tale
is exactly where this is all heading if all these men newly
recruited into this organization can be indoctrinated by the present
leadership into thinking along the lines of what I have heard from earlier
PK rally speeches.
Hopefully, all these men will no more follow the REAL PK ideas
as expressed by it's leaders, and more than those who went on the million
man march accepted the bizarre ideas of Louis Farakhan.

This is our one hope, and the one bright spot in all of this.
Most of these men were recent recruits and probably won't
accept any of the bizarre ideas percolating in the extreme Xian
movements that many PK leaders are involved with. And the days
of barefoot and pregnant are gone and even the Reconstructionists
can't make the old ways sound reasonable except for a benighted few.

Those who were afraid the milion man march showed that Farakhan
was somehow taking control of Black American men's thinking
were wrong, hopefully this PK march will be another false alarm
for the same reason.

Pope Charles
SubGenius Pope Of Houston
Slack!

Tammy Stewart

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

Rev Chuck wrote:

> > and family. In fact, it's a line used by despots and dictators
> > throughout history.
> >
> > Does THAT answer your question?
> >
> > --
> > Ray Fischer
> > r...@netcom.com
>
> "The mother bird stays home at the nest, roosting, keeping the brood warm.
> The father goes forth and brings home food. This is proper. This is how it
> is planned by God." -- Josef Goebbels.

Brrrrrr..that quote gave me the chills. We have a bozo at work who came
to work wearing a PK shirt the other day. Suprisingly, he is
well-educated (in computers anyway) - maybe I'll play a little game of
"attribute the quote" with him. The truly sad part is that (according to
demographic curves I have seen) religious right fundy-types come mostly
from the lower end of the earning ability graph. These are the people
who will inflict the MAXIMUM damage on their families by "taking
control" and telling mom to stay home. I am speaking of families that
are barely keeping a roof overhead and putting food in the childrens'
mouths. Of course, con artists have always been in the business of
preying on the poorest and least educated among us. People with limited
knowledge ask fewer questions and pose less problems in being led around
by the nose.
On a related subject, does anyone here want to hear about my visit to
the Dallas Org's Celeb.Center yesterday??
Tommy
--
"If you take me for a fool, I'm cyanide."
Greg Lake

Tommy_sp...@xs.net

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

By the way, I forgot to mention - the PK type referred to above takes
frequent company trips to Ca. - then regales us with tales of the hot
babes he's "popped" ehile there. No wonder he likes his wife at home.

Pat Winstanley

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In article <343810...@erols.com>, Rev Chuck <cd...@erols.com> writes

>What are _you_ so afraid of should xnity continue to atrophy and die?
>
>Ball's in your court...

>us...@msn.com wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
>> of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
>> great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
>> strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
>> for their wives and children.
>> Perry Murtz

And I'd like to know what the perceived problem is of women living in
harmony with and providing for their husbands/partners and children...
and leading the way to a life reflecting compassion and aid and
practical care and nurturing for all who need it, whatever their sex,
creed, colour, disability etc...

Nobody NEEDS some mythical 'god' figure crutch for that!

Pat Winstanley
"http://www.pierless.demon.co.uk/index.html"

Diane Richardson

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

On Mon, 06 Oct 1997 20:56:37 -0700, Frida <truf...@netcom.ca> wrote:

>us...@msn.com wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
>> of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
>> great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
>> strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
>> for their wives and children.
>> Perry Murtz

>I'm curious what you mean by "once great nation." Do you mean back when
>slavery was your national policy or before that when the native peoples
>were being annihilated? god will bring you back to this greatness? I
>think you are talking about a time when white males completely dominated
>over all they surveyed. No?

No, he's probably talking about back when "this once great nation"
afforded no legal rights to women, who were not allowed to own
property or vote. After all, that *is* the end result of the argument
that the male is the responsible, decision-making head of any
household, isn't it?

If the family, rather than the individual, is considered the basic
unit of society, it leads to the conclusion that there should be only
one official response from each family. As the decision-maker and
individual responsible for the family, the male's opinion would be
accepted as the family unit's opinion -- hence, females would no
longer be permitted to vote or own property of their own.

I've seen nothing to indicate PK maintains that women should not be
afforded the right to vote or own property. That conclusion, however,
is the ultimate outcome of the concepts endorsed by the organization.

Diane Richardson
ref...@bway.net

Gregg Hagglund

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

Posted and Mailed

wrote:

>> >I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
>> >of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
>> >great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
>> >strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
>> >for their wives and children.
>> >Perry Murtz
>>

>> The Abomination in the eyes of God of the Promise Keepers is
>> the silent agenda: Women *in their place* and *the Christian
>> interpretation* (via McCartney) of what is valid and valuable.
>
>Women in their place in the eyes of God is as a partner. Read all of
>it, not just a narrow portion. I have some other concerns regarding
>certain aspects of PK, but I do not fault the teachings I've read on
>women and the family.

No. *You* read all of it. Read what Vineyards preaches and
flee.

>> The PK agenda doesn't mention *publicly and openly* the
>> limitations it would impose on American Society, just that it
>> wants more *men* to take responsiblilty.
>> PK is much more dangerous than the Co$ in its final aim
>> of eliminating nonbiblicly defined freedoms in the US, because
>> they actually are rapidly gaining the political clout to achieve
>> this.
>
>Personally, I think you are attributing the view of a very few
>Christians to PK, which is not only unfair, but inaccurate.

It *is* an accurate description of the controlling Hierarchy of PK.

>> A miltant bible-thumping Theocracy in the US would be a
>> disaster for Americans and others too. They are hardly likely
>> to limit themselves to just the US. Afterall, they would have
>> God, as defined by *them* on their side, right?
>
>I'm not after any theocracy. I'm after individuals controlled by God.
>Governments are already subject to him...whether they know it or not.
>Read Romans 13.

You may not be after a Theocracy, but PK leadership appear to be.
God controls no one. God gave us free choice. We are responsible
for ourselves.
And try reading all the books of the ancient Christians
, including those dropped fro political
reasons of mortal *men*. Try it in the original tongues and not
the highly politicised version written to please the vanity of King
James who was paying for it.

>> Theocracies do not foster free thinking, free speech, or
>> freedom of religion or association.
>> Look to Iran and remember the witch burnings and the
>> Dark Times and shudder deeply.
>
>Most Christians do not hold to Dominion theology and would not support
>a Theocracy.

This is true. However not true for the OK leadership. Be wary of
the evil of mortal men cloaked as false prophets and performing
evil acts while concealing themselves in the mantle of YohAllahWah.

>> And now please take this thread elsewhere. While interesting
>> and more than vaguely related it is still off-topic. :)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Gregg SP4
>> http://www.cgocable.net/~elrond
>> --
>
>Where is it showing up off-topic (besides talk.abortion)? I can imagine
>the Scn. ng. Is that where you are?

Yes, I am posting from alt.religion.scientology where we expose
the Criminal Activities of the Fascist Cult of Greed and Power.

Scientology secretly teaches that God and Christ and all Religious
Knowledge are evil implants in our immortal selves by the Galactic
Overlord Xenu. Many Christians have been tricked into paying
over $100,000.00 for Scientology Processing before learning this
Blasphemy is at the Black Heart of Scientology as taught by the
anti-christian Hubbard.

Posting Christian doctrine to ARS is a waste of bandwidth
and your time. You would achieve more by warning other
Christians of the false and hidden doctrine of the anti-christ
Hubbards Scientology teachings.

Save a Christian today by telling just one about Hubbards
expensive lies about Xenu and denial of God and Christ.

Tell one Christian today and everyday and enjoin them to do the
same. Within a few weeks every Christian, everywhere would know
the evil that Hubbards each and every teaching and uterrance represents.
Save the souls of others by acting now.
Keep unwary Christians from out of the Clutches of the Anti-Christ!
Preach of the Deceptions of the Drunkard and Bigamist Hubbard!
Warn all of the peril of listening to anything originating from the
blasphemous 'Church' of Scientology and its many secret mouthpieces!

Best,

>--Melanie

Paul

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

Pat Winstanley wrote:
> And I'd like to know what the perceived problem is of women living in
> harmony with and providing for their husbands/partners and children...
> and leading the way to a life reflecting compassion and aid and
> practical care and nurturing for all who need it, whatever their sex,
> creed, colour, disability etc...

If that's what they freely *choose* to do, then there's no harm that I
can see. If that's what they do because they have no real alternatives
or because they're forced to do it, then I think we can agree that there
is a major problem.

-Paul

Randy Day

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97
to None Of The Above

None Of The Above wrote:

> On 6 Oct 1997 20:40:45 GMT, d009...@dc.seflin.org (Sam Lopez) wrote:
>
> >Yep...they come from all walks of life...your doctor, your mechanic, your
> >pilot, your physics professor, your highschool coach...all seriously
> >demented......

<<note that there should be the word 'NOT!' at the end of Spammy's quote>>

Geo, I'm majorly disappointed in you. From XTIANS I expect this kind of
tactic ... not you. Misquoting in an attempt to embarrass? This is not
good.

Much as I hate to give Spammy Slow-Pez the benefit of ANYTHING, I think
you owe him an apology.

> Just remember folks. You heard it from Spammy.
>
> Thanks for clearing this up for us.
>
> Geo
> atheist #15

Remove any occurrence of the letter 'x' in my address
to send me email.

"Then I will deal with your argumentation. As long as
you just SAY things without giving *PROVE* for them
they are worth NOTHING."
- Bernhard Faber, xtian, on alt.atheism. Ah, irony!

Sam Lopez

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

Ray Fischer (r...@netcom.com) wrote:

: <us...@msn.com> wrote:
: >I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
: >of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
: >great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
: >strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
: >for their wives and children.

: Gee. That sounds just like the propaganda Hitler used. God, country,

: and family. In fact, it's a line used by despots and dictators
: throughout history.

Gee...even the atheist dictators no? <grin>
--
+**************************************************+
+ "I met a Pentium chip +

Michael Dresbach

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

Therion Ware (Therion Ware) wrote:
> One might note that this is not speculation, but has been shown to be
> the case. Take a look at the role of the Promise Keepers in Nicaragua
> during the Rios Montt years (and the Christian Right in general). One
> will find widespread torture, and the virtual decimation of the native
> indian population amongst other traditional Christian pastimes.

I'm as worried about the Promise Keepers and the Religious Right as
anyone else, but I think that it is important to keep our facts
straight. Rios Montt was in Guatemala, not Nicaragua.

Michael Dresbach

Winston A. Collier

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In article <343a3d35...@snews.zippo.com>, ref...@bway.net says...
[snip]

> If the family, rather than the individual, is considered the basic
> unit of society, it leads to the conclusion that there should be only
> one official response from each family. As the decision-maker and
> individual responsible for the family, the male's opinion would be
> accepted as the family unit's opinion -- hence, females would no
> longer be permitted to vote or own property of their own.
>
> I've seen nothing to indicate PK maintains that women should not be
> afforded the right to vote or own property. That conclusion, however,
> is the ultimate outcome of the concepts endorsed by the organization.
>

> Diane Richardson
> ref...@bway.net

How does it "follow" that there should only be one response - explain the
linkage to me, because I don't see where thats a necessary and sufficient
conclusion given the premise. "Probable" - I could agree to, but I think
you may be jumping to conclusions a bit hastily.

Also, from what I saw on CNN, the PKs (at least publicly) have softened
their "Man Is Boss" paul-isms to where they say the mans job includes
supporting and upholding his wife as an equal partner. Not the same
subservience we heard over the past few years (This was based on a quote
from a soundbite that was clipped from an apparent sermon). The PKs as a
group are so big and amorphous right now that they are very susceptible
to the moderating influence of "old fashioned America Values" like
individualism, equal rights and personal freedom (Pursuit of happiness) -
- the ones the PKs seem to most often overlook. Its what you ignore or
fail to understand that will get you - ask Scientology about their
initial ignorance and continual misunderstanding of the Internet :-)

Aside from all that, IMHO the PK issue is pretty much moot. Its a
tempest in a teapot and will likely fade away within a few years to a
small core of dedicated adherents. Most American evangelical movements
end up that way. Think of it - what happened to all the charismatic
evangelicals from the 1920-30's? Where is the Scourge of the 70's and
80's Jerry Falwell? Not exactly a political powerhouse anymore is he? I
have faith in the American character - that we Americans retain a
fundamental capacity for being easily distracted and hard to lead. Sort
of like lining up cats - the more you get in line the less likely it is
the line will stay put or follow. But thats just my opinion - I could be
wrong

Regards,

A.C.

Beth Wise

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

On 07-Oct-97 19:27:44, Patrick J. Chicas said in alt.atheism:
> Brenda Nelson (bre...@U.Arizona.EDU) wrote:

>: On Mon, 6 Oct 1997 us...@msn.com wrote:
>:
>: :I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
>: :of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this
>: :once great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American
>: :values, strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men
>: :providing for their wives and children. Perry Murtz

>:
>: Okay, Perry, you want to know what we're afraid of? Try this: Pat
>: Robertson, a fervent supporter of Promise Keepers and its
>: crypto-fascist political agenda, says that atheists deserve the death
>: penalty, perferrably by stoning. Not to mention that he would, if in
>: power, forbid anyone to hold public office that didn't pass a
>: fundamentalist litmus test.

> I agree, not good..

> Let's look at the other hand though.. Al Gore is a fervorent
> environmentalist, right?

> Here's a tidy quote from a Sierra Club leader..

> "Phasing out the human race will solve every problem on earth, social and
> environmental."

> Dave Forman, founder of Earth First, and presently a member of the Board
> of Directors for the Sierra Club

> Do you support the Sierra Club?

Personally, I dunno if I support them since I don't know much about them,
but what was wrong with that quote? Got a problem with the truth?

--
A recent search on DejaNews has confirmed that I'm missing more posts than
I'm seeing, especially in alt.atheism. Please CC replies to the address below.

Winston A. Collier

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In article <61cjop$nkj$1...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>,
wbar...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM says...
[snip]

> Those who were afraid the milion man march showed that Farakhan
> was somehow taking control of Black American men's thinking
> were wrong, hopefully this PK march will be another false alarm
> for the same reason.
>
> Pope Charles
> SubGenius Pope Of Houston
> Slack!

This is the clearest (no pun intended) most succinct statment I have seen
yet on the PK that I can agree with. Hmmm - maybe there *is* something
to this Slack and BOB stuff for getting a better mind (or at least a
better grip on slack :-) ...

A.C.

Winston A. Collier

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In article <343a3d35...@snews.zippo.com>, ref...@bway.net says...
[snip]
> If the family, rather than the individual, is considered the basic
> unit of society, it leads to the conclusion that there should be only
> one official response from each family. As the decision-maker and
> individual responsible for the family, the male's opinion would be
> accepted as the family unit's opinion -- hence, females would no
> longer be permitted to vote or own property of their own.
>
> I've seen nothing to indicate PK maintains that women should not be
> afforded the right to vote or own property. That conclusion, however,
> is the ultimate outcome of the concepts endorsed by the organization.
>

> Diane Richardson
> ref...@bway.net

How does it "follow" that there should only be one response - explain the

linkage to me, because I dont see where thats a neccesary and sufficient

conclusion given the premise. "Probable" - I could agree to, but I think
you may be jumping to conclusions a bit hastily.

Also, from what I saw on CNN, the PKs (at leat publicly) have softend

their Man Is Boss paul-isms to where they say the mans job includes
supporting and upholding his wife as an equal partner. Not the same

subservience we heard over the past few years (This was a quote from a
soundbite that was clipped from an apparent sermon). The group is so big
and amorphous right now that it is very susceptible to the moderating

influence of "old fashioned America Values" like individualism, equal

rights and personal freedom (Pursuit of happiness) -- the ones the PKs

seem to most often overlook. Its what you ignore or fail to understand
that will get you - ask Scientology about their initial ignorance and
continual misunderstanding of the Internet :-)

Aside from all that, IMHO the PK issue is pretty much moot. Its a
tempest in a teapot and will likely fade away within a few years to a
small core of dedicated adherents. Most American evangelical movements

end up that way. Think of it - what happened to Billy Sunday from the

Rev Chuck

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

I've spent a third of my life trying to get a handle on "Slack", and
only this much can I say for certain . Those who _wear_ "slacks" are
the ones who least have it.

Rev Chuck

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97
> --The Sierra Club has, of late, been under an incredible assault by industries
who depend on destruction of the ecology for a dollar. The paper industry --
read the PULP industry, the folks who fell trees so you can choose from a
dozen brands to wipe on (ain't America GREAT???) -- in particular has waged
war on the green movement. Recall the famed spotted owl wars of the Pacific
Northwest. Recall also that management fuckups cause more layoffs than
environmental regulations ever will; of all timber industry layoffs since
the 1980's, only 1% can be attributed to regulation. So, corporate management
diverts attention from themselves with populist disinformation campaigns.

I know a little more truth about Foreman than the post let on. What he said
was (and I agree) that if the human population was reduced from its current
6 billion to _maybe_ 600 million at worst, environmental impact would be
negligable or none at all. He never said the human race should be completely
phased out (and neither do I).

None Of The Above

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

On 6 Oct 1997 20:40:45 GMT, d009...@dc.seflin.org (Sam Lopez) wrote:

>Yep...they come from all walks of life...your doctor, your mechanic, your
>pilot, your physics professor, your highschool coach...all seriously
>demented......

Just remember folks. You heard it from Spammy.

Patrick J. Chicas

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Rob Clark (xe...@mindspring.com) wrote:
: On 6 Oct 1997 07:30:11 GMT, mi...@mtd.com (Mike Doughney) wrote:
:
: [excellent rant on promise keepers from mike doughney deleted]
:
: you know, it only took one thing to turn me against promise keepers
: permanently. their own publicity still on the front page of USA today has
: the lurching zombies, eyes clenched rigidly shut, obviously in some
: sort of trance.

I guess the same fervor at an Earth First gathering is okay?

: promise keepers lie about their political agenda and abuse 501(c)(3)
: tax-exemption with blatant lobbying for legislation.

You mean like the Sierra Club?

: promise keepers is a crypto-supremacist white male domination group.

What a laugh! Per third source statistics, the gathering had a 14% mix of
Aferican Americans. The whole US populace has a 13% African American
representation. Do the math..

PJC

Patrick J. Chicas

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

[...]

Hey how about this comment by the sitting, Sec of Interior..

"You can't read the Constitution like a rule book"
-Bruce Babbitt quoted by the Arizona Republic, July 8, 1987

: Apart from those two glaringly concrete examples of what the Religious
: Right has in store for atheists, agnostics, freethinkers, skeptics (not
: to mention Muslims, Buddhists, Traditional Native Americans,
: practitioners of Santeria, etc., etc., etc.) we are afraid of living in
: a country where superstition rules and rational thought is driven
: underground. Like Iran is today, or Europe during the Dark Ages.

Superstitions, or the creation there of?

Hey I have one for you..

"[W]e have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic
statements, and make little mention of any doubts we may have. Each of us
has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being
honest."

-Stephen Schneider, proponent of the theory that CFCs are depleting the
ozone

: We are afraid of the Thought Police, the Soul Police, the Cops for
: Christ, the Galilee Gestapo, and all other existing or pre-emergent
: groups who would gleefully take away our freedoms and our citizenship
: merely because we have a different spiritual orientation than that of
: the fundies. If you think they wouldn't do it, then you haven't done
: your homework. Scarcely a week goes by without *somebody* from that
: camp spelling out how they're gonna make life miserable for the rest of
: us once America is "restored to God." <Shudder>

Hah!

* Deep Ecology as a Religion

"If we seek only personal redemption we could become solitary ecological
saints among the masses of those we might classify as 'sinners' who
continue to pollute."

Bill Devall & George Sessions, Deep Ecology: Living As If Nature Mattered
Layton, UT: Gibbs Smith, 1987), p 14

"More science and more technology are not goint to get us out of the
present ecological crises untill we find a new religion, or rethink our
old one."

Lynn White, Jr. "The Historical Roots of Our Ecological Crisis," Science,
(Mar. 10 1967), p 1206

: I'd say that was enough to scare anybody. Certianly enough to scare
: anybody who believes (or purports to believe) in the principles upon
: which this country was *actually* founded - freedom of/from religion,
: separation of Church and State, and the right of each of us to live our
: lives as we see fit.

Trouble is, you could care less if your life as you see fit, affects
anyone else.

PJC

Patrick J. Chicas

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Rev Chuck (cd...@erols.com) wrote:
:
: "The mother bird stays home at the nest, roosting, keeping the brood warm.
: The father goes forth and brings home food. This is proper. This is how it
: is planned by God." -- Josef Goebbels.

Since you have brought the all too common USENET<>NAZI comparison into
view, we should also mention the following.

In the 1930s the ecologists "Green Revolution" reached full flower in
Germany...In the political sphere, ecologists lobbied successfully, for
antivivisection laws,..implementation of organic farming,..and the
redistribution of large land holdings to the German peasants (Back-to-
the-Land movement)...These laws became the policies of a political party
that incorporated a major portion of the ecologists political agenda. This
party also believed in the "Blood and Soil" ethic, and was known as the
National Socialist Party. Its leader was Adolf Hitler.

Oophs.. All those nice "Green Ideals" are admired and often demanded by
liberals.

Dan

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

On 8 Oct 1997 00:19:49 GMT, suns...@antispam.pinn.net (Sunshine)
wrote:

>The Christian Reconstructionists function as a fundamentalist Christian
>think-tank. Over the last, oh, 20 years, ideas have percolated out of
>the Chalcedon Foundation (primary center of CR thinking) to the
>fundamentalist Christian world at large. The ideas percolating out of
>Chalcedon today will probably become standard fair in fundamentalist
>Christian thinking in 10 years. For a truly frightening experience,
>visit their website. Among other things, the want to replace the
>Constitution with the Bible and democracy with theocracy and to
>reinstitute patriarchal families and slavery. Since the Bible will
>become the law of the land, in their world, abortion, adultery,
>blasphemy, being an "incorregible child", and homosexuality will become
>capital crimes.
>
>Sunshine

Oh my gawd it must be true.....

Sheesh
Spam bait:
postm...@agis.net
postm...@uu.net
webm...@agis.net
in...@sonicnet.com
jo...@sonicnet.com
webm...@sonicnet.com

None Of The Above

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

On Tue, 07 Oct 1997 14:58:34 -0700, Randy Day
<rand...@city.saskatoon.sk.cax> wrote:

>None Of The Above wrote:
>>
>> On 6 Oct 1997 20:40:45 GMT, d009...@dc.seflin.org (Sam Lopez) wrote:
>>
>> >Yep...they come from all walks of life...your doctor, your mechanic, your
>> >pilot, your physics professor, your highschool coach...all seriously
>> >demented......
>

><<note that there should be the word 'NOT!' at the end of Spammy's quote>>

Your point?

>Geo, I'm majorly disappointed in you.

And your point?

>From XTIANS I expect this kind of tactic ... not you.
>Misquoting in an attempt to embarrass?

From Xtians?

Whether I misquoted Spammy or not isn't the issue. The issue is
whether Spammy will EVER produce an argument that doesn't rely on
bullshit circular reasoning.

The fact that you are disappointed just means that I can't please
everyone.

>This is not good.

Neither am I in some circumstances.

>Much as I hate to give Spammy Slow-Pez the benefit of ANYTHING, I think
>you owe him an apology.

Right. Let me guess. If I had called him a sawed-off prick, you
would have been *less* disappointed?

Geo
atheist #15

Therion Ware

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Opps.... absolutely Rios Montt & the shepherds (which is to say
"right").

Rob Clark

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

jbwebb <jbw...@gramercy.ios.com> wrote:

>I listened to Rush for about 10 minutes on Monday while in the car (note

i forgive you, i occasionally have to put up with rush myself.

>how apologetic I seem to be!) - he kept saying how the numbers didn't
>really matter, that if there wasn't a million there or not didn't really
>matter, blah blah blah. Remember how he ridiculed the Million Man March
>because the numbers weren't as large as they claimed? On and on about

yes, i have to tolerate that dumb cocksucker often enough to remember
that. i have also listened to his dumb shit enough to realize that he
will bully a twelve-year-old calling in to his show, and yet still
lose the debate, while in a cowardly fashion refusing to debate any
real challenger in public.

because he is a little coward.

(i note g. gordon liddy follows rush chronologically in my local
schedule, and is far superior, and will debate any goddamn person on
any goddamn thing. his politics are on the same vile level as rush,
but at least liddy has some damn integrity and balls that outweigh
rush's entire putrid frame.)

>the fucking numbers on that one! Yet, here - he gives PK a pass. What a
>hypocrite (surprised?). Remember how he ridiculed MMM's message - which
>was basically the same (respect your wife, family, community)? What's
>the difference here, huh?????

the difference is that farrakhan's loons were black, whereas
mccartney's loons are white.

nevermind, you were pointing that out yourself, with a bit of irony.

irony is a tricky task, though, some people miss it around these
parts. it's best to label it. as in **********IRONY
ALERT************

RED ALERT! (flash it like the heaven's gate site)

IRONY!!!!!!!!! THERE WILL BE !!!!!!!!!!IRONY!!!!!!!!!!! IN ABOUT A
HUNDRED YARDS! REALLY! DON'T TAKE THIS *****SERIOUSLY*****
OR ANYTHING!!!!

QUICK, IRONY IN FIFTY YARDS!

IRONY, UPCOMING IRONY!

but, you know, it's not really worth all that build-up. because even
if you go ahead and do that, some people will still miss it.

> You know, my husband made a promise to me before our rabbi, families,
>and friends. That was enough for me. Maybe I should have called ABC and
>had our vows televised nation wide for them to be valid.

nah.

>Take care
>Joni

rob

Remove xx

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97
to malk...@ix.netcom.com

Re: Promise Creepers Cult, Michelle
<malk...@ix.netcom.com> said:

Michelle> And, did you notice the 'men providing for their
Michelle> wives' bit? That's fine, if it's what the wife
Michelle> wants, but what if she wants to work outside the
Michelle> home or not be married at all and totally
Michelle> self-supporting? You can bet these Neo-Nazis
Michelle> won't allow that kind of thinking for a minute.

Michelle> Also, once they got into power, you can bet that
Michelle> any members of the group from other than the white
Michelle> race will suddenly find themselves without a voice
Michelle> or any power at all in important
Michelle> decisions. Hopefully, the non-white members of
Michelle> this cult will come to their senses and recognize
Michelle> this cult for what it is - a pre-Nazi power grab
Michelle> using religion in the same way the Communists used
Michelle> atheism to gain power and control over non-members
Michelle> lives.

How long until the sign

Welcome to Gilead

welcomes you to America?

Scary...

tony

David Gerard

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

On Tue, 07 Oct 1997 09:17:56 -0700,
Melanie <wmn...@ns.net> wrote:

:Well, then we should all have their views by now. They've been around
:longer than 10 years. The Reconstructionists may have some minor
:influence, but then so does the secular environment. From what I can
:see, the majority still don't agree with them on many issues. Granted,
:on any given issue, there is likely to be a large amount of agreement,
:but I dare say that most Christians are not interested in establishing a
:theocracy in the U.S.

True. But what proportion would it take?

--
http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fun/scn/ http://www.suburbia.net/~fun/scn/
I hereby encourage all earthlink.net users to leave for a provider whose

Oze McCallum

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

jbwebb wrote:

<snip>

> Remember how he ridiculed MMM's message - which was basically the
> same (respect your wife, family, community)? What's
> the difference here, huh?????

<snip>

While I do agree that the messages were similar, the difference was that
the MMM was designed ONLY for black men. IOW, it was an attempt to
separate on the basis of race, whereas the PK rallies have made it a
point to try and include all races.

Oze

Laura Akers

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Oze McCallum (Nospam...@ever.com) wrote:

But it was only open to men. So what the hell's the difference? Which
brings up another issue: who is supposed to be the spiritual leader in a
single-parent family that has only a mother? Is she supposed to go out and
find someone to oppress her?

Laura

Oze McCallum

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Paul England wrote:

> > Theists control the media? Oh, no! Can it be true?
>
> Come to Wisconsin where the anything (and I mean anything) the Catholic
> Church does will be the top story in all newscasts.

Would that be because the Catholic Church controls the media or because
there is such a large base of Catholics there that the media determines
the audience would probably like to hear it?

They are going to put on what people will watch, won't they?

Oze

Sam Lopez

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Oze McCallum (Nospam...@ever.com) wrote:

: Oze

The evidence points to non-Judeo-Christian values as held among media elite.
Michael Medved, one of the faithful few, usually expounds on that issue.

htimS werdnA

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Laura (Hey to cross posting!) Akers wrote:

> But it was only open to men. So what the hell's the difference? Which
> brings up another issue: who is supposed to be the spiritual leader in a
> single-parent family that has only a mother? Is she supposed to go out and
> find someone to oppress her?

Of course you are. Haven't you been reading any PK material? Or the
Bible? That's exactly what they say....look for yourself. Do you
always believe everything you read on the internet?

How about, 'what's an orphan supposed to do?' Is she supposed to go out
and find some parents? Of course not! We PKers are against love and
family. We're for hate. Did you miss that part? It'll be on CSPAN
next Saturday. You can see them say it for yourself.

Good grief, you really need to start paying attention!

a.

William Barwell

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

In article <61ej1i$m...@nuhou.aloha.net>,

Patrick J. Chicas <p...@aloha.net> wrote:
>Rob Clark (xe...@mindspring.com) wrote:
>: On 6 Oct 1997 07:30:11 GMT, mi...@mtd.com (Mike Doughney) wrote:
>:
>: [excellent rant on promise keepers from mike doughney deleted]
>:
>: you know, it only took one thing to turn me against promise keepers
>: permanently. their own publicity still on the front page of USA today has
>: the lurching zombies, eyes clenched rigidly shut, obviously in some
>: sort of trance.
>
>I guess the same fervor at an Earth First gathering is okay?

Earth Firsters are trying to end abuses against the enviroment
by thoughtless industrialists. If you can't get a little fervant
against these abuses, somethings a little wrong with you.
Ferver can be dangerous in some cases though. If PK ferver
extends to allowing themselves to be sucked into the world of far right
Christianity by PK leaders, much of which is cranky and
foolish, who needs that knid of ferver? Hopefully, most
of these men will not go for that, will not get sucked into
the crazy world of evangelical sheperding movements, Identity
Christianity, reconstructivism, or other nonsense through the PK.

>: promise keepers lie about their political agenda and abuse 501(c)(3)
>: tax-exemption with blatant lobbying for legislation.
>
>You mean like the Sierra Club?

Sierra club is a 501(c)(4) org. This allows them to lobby.

>: promise keepers is a crypto-supremacist white male domination group.
>
>What a laugh! Per third source statistics, the gathering had a 14% mix of
>Aferican Americans. The whole US populace has a 13% African American
>representation. Do the math..

PK is an org many other Christian organizations have connection with via
the leaders of PK. Not all are good upstanding sane church groups.

William Barwell

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

In article <3439E8...@erols.com>, Rev Chuck <cd...@erols.com> wrote:
>Winston A. Collier wrote:
>>
>> In article <61cjop$nkj$1...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>,
>> wbar...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM says...
>> [snip]
>> >
>> > Those who were afraid the milion man march showed that Farakhan
>> > was somehow taking control of Black American men's thinking
>> > were wrong, hopefully this PK march will be another false alarm
>> > for the same reason.
>> >
>> > Pope Charles
>> > SubGenius Pope Of Houston
>> > Slack!
>>
>> This is the clearest (no pun intended) most succinct statment I have seen
>> yet on the PK that I can agree with. Hmmm - maybe there *is* something
>> to this Slack and BOB stuff for getting a better mind (or at least a
>> better grip on slack :-) ...
>>
>> A.C.
>
>I've spent a third of my life trying to get a handle on "Slack", and
>only this much can I say for certain . Those who _wear_ "slacks" are
>the ones who least have it.

That is why I wear a kilt.

It has nothing to do with zippers scaring sheep.

Diane Richardson

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:16:18 -0600,
acollie...@trapspam.n.o.s.p.a.m.pobox.com (Winston A. Collier)
wrote:

>In article <343a3d35...@snews.zippo.com>, ref...@bway.net says...
>[snip]
>> If the family, rather than the individual, is considered the basic
>> unit of society, it leads to the conclusion that there should be only
>> one official response from each family. As the decision-maker and
>> individual responsible for the family, the male's opinion would be
>> accepted as the family unit's opinion -- hence, females would no
>> longer be permitted to vote or own property of their own.
>>
>> I've seen nothing to indicate PK maintains that women should not be
>> afforded the right to vote or own property. That conclusion, however,
>> is the ultimate outcome of the concepts endorsed by the organization.
>>

>> Diane Richardson
>> ref...@bway.net
>>

>How does it "follow" that there should only be one response - explain the

>linkage to me, because I don't see where thats a necessary and sufficient

>conclusion given the premise. "Probable" - I could agree to, but I think
>you may be jumping to conclusions a bit hastily.

No doubt it is a hasty conclusion on my part. The logic of the PK
position, however, certainly points towards such a conclusion being
more than probable, in my opinion.

>Also, from what I saw on CNN, the PKs (at least publicly) have softened

>their "Man Is Boss" paul-isms to where they say the mans job includes
>supporting and upholding his wife as an equal partner. Not the same

>subservience we heard over the past few years (This was based on a quote
>from a soundbite that was clipped from an apparent sermon). The PKs as a

>group are so big and amorphous right now that they are very susceptible

>to the moderating influence of "old fashioned America Values" like
>individualism, equal rights and personal freedom (Pursuit of happiness) -
>- the ones the PKs seem to most often overlook. Its what you ignore or
>fail to understand that will get you - ask Scientology about their
>initial ignorance and continual misunderstanding of the Internet :-)

I'm basing my opinion on nothing more substantial than the occasional
interview I've heard with PK people over the past week. I don't know
the organization's official position, or even if they have one.

>Aside from all that, IMHO the PK issue is pretty much moot. Its a
>tempest in a teapot and will likely fade away within a few years to a
>small core of dedicated adherents. Most American evangelical movements

>end up that way. Think of it - what happened to all the charismatic
>evangelicals from the 1920-30's? Where is the Scourge of the 70's and

>80's Jerry Falwell? Not exactly a political powerhouse anymore is he? I
>have faith in the American character - that we Americans retain a
>fundamental capacity for being easily distracted and hard to lead. Sort
>of like lining up cats - the more you get in line the less likely it is
>the line will stay put or follow. But thats just my opinion - I could be
>wrong

I tend to agree with you about that. I don't see Promise Keepers as
anything more than a fad -- less substantial than some of the other
fundamentalist Christian-backed organizations.

Diane Richardson
ref...@bway.net

None Of The Above

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

On 8 Oct 1997 16:44:10 GMT, d009...@dc.seflin.org (Sam Lopez) wrote:

>The evidence points to non-Judeo-Christian values as held among media elite.

You provided only one pseudo-journalist (a television movie critic) in
support for your biased analysis.

What a surprise.

Geo
atheist #15

Chris Nelson

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

wrote:

>The Christian Reconstructionists function as a fundamentalist Christian
>think-tank.

A fundamentalist Christian think-tank. What an oxymoron!

Chris Nelson (domain: ia.net)

Oze McCallum

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III wrote:

> Oze McCallum wrote:

<snip>

> > You mean like the "reactionary plutocrat" Ted Turner?
>
> Plutocrat he may be, but at least Turner 1) made his fortune himself
> and 2) has no problem sharing his wealth with the less fortunate.

No, Turner did not make his fortune himself, he inherited it. The
company was called Turner Outdoor Advertising. Granted, he didn't blow
it and actually made some pretty smart moves with it, but he started
from a fairly high level.

As far as sharing his wealth, read what Forbes had to say:

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/101496/5809040a.htm

here are some excerpts:

THAT [FORBES FOUR HUNDRED] list is destroying our country," Ted Turner
told New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd late this summer. The Mouth
of the South was wound up. "These new superrich won't loosen up their
wads because they're afraid they'll reduce their net worth and go down
on the list," Turner went on.

[...]

Ted told the writer that he had talked with Bill Gates and Warren
Buffett and that they told him they would be more philanthropic if they
got more credit for it.

That was news to Buffett: "I never had such a conversation with Turner
or with anyone else," says Buffett. Gates also denies having said
anything like that to Turner.

[...]

Turner has a way of exaggerating. In 1994 he announced he was giving
away another $75 million in three chunks of $25 million each for his
alma maters, Brown University and the McCallie School in Chattanooga,
Tenn., and his sons' alma mater, the Citadel.

Hold the applause. Turner didn't actually give $25 million to Brown. He
gave $1 million in each of the past three years-$3 million. He's
promised $1 million in 1997 and a final $1 million in 1998. In all, $5
million.

What happened to the other $20 million? He put that much worth of Turner
Broadcasting shares in a charitable trust in 1994. Each year Brown pays
him 6% in interest income--$1.2 million a year, or $6 million after five
years. Turner will be ahead of the game by $1 million at the end of five
years.

[...]

"I've decided to keep my 10% holding [in Time Warner] intact and fund my
foundation piecemeal each year," he admitted to Forbes. Why did he
change his mind? By holding on to his shares, he assures that he will be
the largest shareholder of Time Warner once its merger with Turner
Broadcasting is consummated.

Turner will own 10% of Time Warner. Thus he shades TCI Chairman John
Malone, who has 9%, Edgar Bronfman Jr., whose Seagram Co. controls 9%,
and Capital Group, a Los Angeles investment firm, with 7.5%.

Ego, Ted?

[...]

Some of Turner's fellow billionaires were steaming at his criticism of
them in the Dowd article. He singled out Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

[...]

Buffett runs a tiny $20 million foundation, but the rest of his money,
$15 billion, is nestled in Berkshire Hathaway stock, where it has been
compounding at 29% a year for the past decade. Only a small percentage
of the estate will go to his kids when he dies. He told Forbes he plans
on leaving it to his wife, Susan Buffett, who in turn will leave it to
the foundation. Meanwhile, he's not throwing the money away. He could
easily finance his present lifestyle on 1% of his fortune. The rest
continues to compound. The richer he gets while on earth, the bigger the
pot for good works when he dies.

Gates, in his most detailed interview ever about his private
philanthropy, told Forbes he has already given away $270 million. His
foundation, which began operations only two years ago, has about $200
million. It gives mainly to higher education, population control and the
United Way, of which Gates is a national trustee and member of its
Alexis de Toqueville Society for major givers.

Gates says he has given away from personal funds another $70 million.
This included large gifts to the University of Washington for its law
school, a molecular biotechnology institute and support for
undergraduates. Another $6 million went to Stanford for a computer
science center. Organizations in Seattle got $3 million for a cancer
research center and $2 million for Symphony Hall.

So much for these "reactionary plutocrats" not sharing the wealth, huh?

> > And the "Lesbian Avengers" is the name of the group (note capital
> > letters used for proper names), so how is that some sort bias on the
> > part of the editor?
>
> The juxtaposition (do you know what that means?) of the newspaper's

Yes I do, ad-hominem attack aside.

> pro-Promise Keepers editorial with the blurb about the Lesbian Avengers
> was designed to demonize, for the benefit of the local Fundie knuckle
> draggers, anyone who might entertain one or more of the hatful of
> doubts any right thinking person might entertain about this particular
> manifestation of the Wacko Radical Right's agenda for a new AmeriKKKa.
>
> How's that for "some sort bias?"

And are you on the newspaper's editorial staff? How do you know why they
put an article in a particluar place? Pretty presumptuous of you.

Sounds more like your own delusions than anything.

<sig snip>

Oze

Ex Mudder

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

In article <slrn63mm3...@thingy.apana.org.au>,

f...@thingy.apana.spaaaamtraaaaap.org.au (David Gerard) wrote:
>On Tue, 07 Oct 1997 09:17:56 -0700,
>Melanie <wmn...@ns.net> wrote:
>
>:Well, then we should all have their views by now. They've been around
>:longer than 10 years. The Reconstructionists may have some minor
>:influence, but then so does the secular environment. From what I can
>:see, the majority still don't agree with them on many issues. Granted,
>:on any given issue, there is likely to be a large amount of agreement,
>:but I dare say that most Christians are not interested in establishing a
>:theocracy in the U.S.
>
>True. But what proportion would it take?

How many Germans were actually trying to establish a genocidal
dictatorship?
Compare and contrast.
I figure the US will hit critical mass in about 20 years.

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Oze McCallum wrote:

> Raoul D. Xemblinosky III wrote:
> >
> > Oze McCallum wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > You mean like the "reactionary plutocrat" Ted Turner?
> >
> > Plutocrat he may be, but at least Turner 1) made his fortune himself
> > and 2) has no problem sharing his wealth with the less fortunate.
>
> No, Turner did not make his fortune himself, he inherited it. The
> company was called Turner Outdoor Advertising.

That was *hardly* a fortune.

> Granted, he didn't blow
> it and actually made some pretty smart moves with it, but he started
> from a fairly high level.
>
> As far as sharing his wealth, read what Forbes had to say:

No thank you. I have no interest in what Forbes has to say about this.
Not that I'm trying to defend Turner's personal character or deny that
he has any ulterior motives. The man's a horse's ass and so is his
wife,
for that matter. But so is Forbes, and Forbes has an axe to grind
against anyone who doesn't cotton to his own peculiar brand of achieving
the American Dream on other people's backs.

> So much for these "reactionary plutocrats" not sharing the wealth, huh?
>
> > > And the "Lesbian Avengers" is the name of the group (note capital
> > > letters used for proper names), so how is that some sort bias on the
> > > part of the editor?
> >
> > The juxtaposition (do you know what that means?) of the newspaper's
>
> Yes I do, ad-hominem attack aside.

In your case, *ad homunculum* is the more appropriate term.

> > pro-Promise Keepers editorial with the blurb about the Lesbian Avengers
> > was designed to demonize, for the benefit of the local Fundie knuckle
> > draggers, anyone who might entertain one or more of the hatful of
> > doubts any right thinking person might entertain about this particular
> > manifestation of the Wacko Radical Right's agenda for a new AmeriKKKa.
> >
> > How's that for "some sort bias?"
>
> And are you on the newspaper's editorial staff? How do you know why they
> put an article in a particluar place? Pretty presumptuous of you.

They put it in that "particluar" place to suck up to the shit-rich
twats they want so desperately to advertise in the pathetic waste of
good newsprint they call a newspaper. As is, of course, their right.
I just hate it when the same people suck up to the Radical Wacko Right
and their megabucks while pretending to practice "objectivity."

> Sounds more like your own delusions than anything.

I'd rather have what you call my "delusions" than be brainwashed into
believing what the son of Malcolm (the Capitalist Toolslurper) Forbes
wants me to believe.

- Raoul D. Xemblinosky III -=-=-=-=-=-=- -- . --- .-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
a.f.k-m.n "Meow meow Henrietta Pussycat meow meow
alt.flame meow The Presidents of the United States
alt.evil of America meow Kitty?" -- Matt Bruce
- http://super.zippo.com/~shpxurnq =-=-=- f.o.a. -=-=-=- mhm 15x12 -=

Phillip Zadarnowski

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Melanie <wmn...@ns.net> wrote:

>Actually, considering the difference in numbers and that the event
>was a PK event, (not a NOW event) that was being protested, I thought
>that the coverage of the dissenters was given lots of time, at least in
>our local media. The National Public Radio coverage was interesting,
>not only covering dissenters, but an interview with a homosexual man who
>went to Promise Keepers with his brother, and the response he got from
>his liberal friends.

Promise Keepers? Here's how I see the future of PK...

Seeing as they aren't a bona-fide cult/religion, but rather a
collective cultivated mentality, they will begin to fade as
individuals come to realize they don't need them any more.
They will see they have to yield more to the concerns of *their*
church and *their* family rather than the generic programming
of the PK directives.

Oze McCallum

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III wrote:

> Oze McCallum wrote:

<snip>

> > No, Turner did not make his fortune himself, he inherited it. The

> > company was called Turner Outdoor Advertising.
>

> That was *hardly* a fortune.

Yeah, that's true, but the point is he DIDN'T make it himself, as you
claimed.

> > Granted, he didn't blow
> > it and actually made some pretty smart moves with it, but he started
> > from a fairly high level.
> >
> > As far as sharing his wealth, read what Forbes had to say:
>

> No thank you. I have no interest in what Forbes has to say about this.

IOW, you like being close-minded.

> Not that I'm trying to defend Turner's personal character or deny that
> he has any ulterior motives. The man's a horse's ass and so is his
> wife,
> for that matter. But so is Forbes, and Forbes has an axe to grind
> against anyone who doesn't cotton to his own peculiar brand of achieving
> the American Dream on other people's backs.

Do you not like wealthy people? Or think they do anything to help the
country?

> > So much for these "reactionary plutocrats" not sharing the wealth, huh?

<snip>

> > Yes I do, ad-hominem attack aside.
>

> In your case, *ad homunculum* is the more appropriate term.

<sigh> Pretty sad and weak.

<snip>

> > And are you on the newspaper's editorial staff? How do you know why they
> > put an article in a particluar place? Pretty presumptuous of you.
>

> They put it in that "particluar" place to suck up to the shit-rich
> twats they want so desperately to advertise in the pathetic waste of
> good newsprint they call a newspaper. As is, of course, their right.
> I just hate it when the same people suck up to the Radical Wacko Right
> and their megabucks while pretending to practice "objectivity."

How do you know? That's the point. You SAY they put is there "to suck up
to the shit-rich twats they want so desperately to advertise", but you
don't know. Unless you're there when they make the decision, can hear it
for yourself, and see the layout before it's printed.

> > Sounds more like your own delusions than anything.
>

> I'd rather have what you call my "delusions" than be brainwashed into
> believing what the son of Malcolm (the Capitalist Toolslurper) Forbes
> wants me to believe.

Hey, who cares what he wants you to believe. You ought to at least have
an open enough mind to see other points of view, whether you agree with
them or not. To dismiss them out of hand signifies more of your mindset
than anything of Forbes.

<sig snip>

Oze

Eileen Camilleri

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

htimS werdnA <bou...@bounce.com> wrote in article
<343E35...@bounce.com>...
> Eileen Camilleri wrote:
> >
> > If putting your families first is this organization's primary purpose
why
> > don't you all "just do it!"?
> > What was the prayer fest and chest beating all about? It seems a bit
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Could you tell us more about the chest beating? Where did you see this?

Chest beating:
I am man, hear me speak. I am Christian man, hear me repent. I am head of
the house, watch me lead. And, Listen World, to my promises.

> > Why did you go?
>
> Why do you care?

Because I am trying to understand the motivations for such a mass public
display of what are normally private matters. Such as, personal
repentance, adultery, your relationship with your families.

Eileen

Christopher Lyman

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

One my favorite satirical writers, "BartCop", pointed out that PK charges
$60 a head for their stadium events. When you consider that your typical
major-league stadium seats at least 50,000 people, that's *$3,000,000*
gross income per event, and that doesn't count revenues from sales of
books, t-shirts, etc.

Whatever else PK may be, it is a *major* money maker.

--
Chris Lyman | home: chr...@minn.net | work: chris...@stpaul.gov
"I just forgot my whole philosophy of life!"

Buzzygirl

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Ray Fischer wrote:

> Rob Clark <xe...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > ez07...@catbert.ucdavis.edu (Laura Akers)

> >>But it was only open to men. So what the hell's the difference? Which
> >>brings up another issue: who is supposed to be the spiritual leader in a
> >>single-parent family that has only a mother? Is she supposed to go out and
> >>find someone to oppress her?
> >
> >such families are against the will of god, and have no right to exist.

You're telling ME and my SON that we have NO RIGHT TO EXIST??

Fuck off.

Rob Clark

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 15:05:27 -0600, Buzzygirl <bu...@spamsux.com> wrote:

>> >such families are against the will of god, and have no right to exist.

>You're telling ME and my SON that we have NO RIGHT TO EXIST??

>Fuck off.

give me an I
give me an R
give me an O
give me an N
give me a Y

whattaya got?

rob

Ray Fischer

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Rob Clark <xe...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> ez07...@catbert.ucdavis.edu (Laura Akers)

>>But it was only open to men. So what the hell's the difference? Which
>>brings up another issue: who is supposed to be the spiritual leader in a
>>single-parent family that has only a mother? Is she supposed to go out and
>>find someone to oppress her?
>

>such families are against the will of god, and have no right to exist.

Says who?

--
Ray Fischer
r...@netcom.com

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Oze McCallum wrote:

> Raoul D. Xemblinosky III wrote:
> >
> > Oze McCallum wrote:
> > >

> <snip>
>
> > > No, Turner did not make his fortune himself, he inherited it. The
> > > company was called Turner Outdoor Advertising.
> >
> > That was *hardly* a fortune.
>
> Yeah, that's true, but the point is he DIDN'T make it himself, as you
> claimed.

If it wasn't a fortune, what does it matter whether he made it himself
or not?

> > > Granted, he didn't blow
> > > it and actually made some pretty smart moves with it, but he started
> > > from a fairly high level.
> > >
> > > As far as sharing his wealth, read what Forbes had to say:
> >

> > No thank you. I have no interest in what Forbes has to say about this.
>
> IOW, you like being close-minded.

That's a leap. Closing one's mind to the bajillionth rehashing of the
alleged virtues of the "trickle-down" theory is not the same as being
closed-minded.

> > Not that I'm trying to defend Turner's personal character or deny that
> > he has any ulterior motives. The man's a horse's ass and so is his
> > wife,
> > for that matter. But so is Forbes, and Forbes has an axe to grind
> > against anyone who doesn't cotton to his own peculiar brand of achieving
> > the American Dream on other people's backs.
>
> Do you not like wealthy people? Or think they do anything to help the
> country?

I don't like or dislike wealthy people. I wish the wealthy people, as a
class, would pull more of their share of the load. Seeing that they
control
the government and the media, I don't see much danger of this happening.

> > > So much for these "reactionary plutocrats" not sharing the wealth, huh?
> > >

> <snip>

> > > Yes I do, ad-hominem attack aside.
> >

> > In your case, *ad homunculum* is the more appropriate term.
>
> <sigh> Pretty sad and weak.

I notice that you snipped the little grammar flame with which you began
this part of our little conversation. Now, that's pretty sad and weak.

> <snip>

> > > And are you on the newspaper's editorial staff? How do you know why they
> > > put an article in a particluar place? Pretty presumptuous of you.
> >

> > They put it in that "particluar" place to suck up to the shit-rich
> > twats they want so desperately to advertise in the pathetic waste of
> > good newsprint they call a newspaper. As is, of course, their right.
> > I just hate it when the same people suck up to the Radical Wacko Right
> > and their megabucks while pretending to practice "objectivity."
>
> How do you know? That's the point. You SAY they put is there "to suck up
> to the shit-rich twats they want so desperately to advertise", but you
> don't know. Unless you're there when they make the decision, can hear it
> for yourself, and see the layout before it's printed.

OK. I give up. Maybe we can ask the omniscient STEVE FORBES for a
ruling on this question. You seem to be willing enough to take STEVE
FORBES's word for just about anything.

> > > Sounds more like your own delusions than anything.
> >

> > I'd rather have what you call my "delusions" than be brainwashed into
> > believing what the son of Malcolm (the Capitalist Toolslurper) Forbes
> > wants me to believe.
>
> Hey, who cares what he wants you to believe. You ought to at least have
> an open enough mind to see other points of view, whether you agree with
> them or not. To dismiss them out of hand signifies more of your mindset
> than anything of Forbes.

Believe me, I've been subjected to the fucking trickle-down theory in
all of its ramifications since before I was old enough to vote. It's
just that I have never been wealthy enough or gullible enough to endorse
it.

Which of the two are you?

- Raoul D. Xemblinosky III -=-=-=-=-=-=- -- . --- .-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
a.f.k-m.n "Meow meow Henrietta Pussycat meow meow
alt.flame meow The Presidents of the United States
alt.evil of America meow Kitty?" -- Matt Bruce

- http://super.zippo.com/~shpxurnq- =-=-=-=- FOA -=-=-=- mhm 15x12 -=

Rev. Don R. Fauquier, D.D.

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Rob Clark wrote:

>promise keepers lie about their political agenda and abuse 501(c)(3)

> tax-exemption with blatant lobbying for legislation.
>

> promise keepers is a crypto-supremacist white male domination group.
>

> promise kkkreepers is just totalitarianism sneaking in the back door,
> as the communists had their fabians.]

Prove it.

Grace and peace.

Don

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Rev. Don R. Fauquier, D.D. wrote:

> I have great wealth, but little money. My wealth comes in downpours from God.

As does everyone's. You and I just happen to realize this fact.

> Money can't do anything for you but keep all those millionaires in business making
> more millions.

Amen. I don't necessarily begrudge the millionaires a gold-plated
Mercedes
or two. But the utter lack of concern they and their political arm, the
Republican Party, display for those who have never had the chance to
break
even makes me want to vomit.

> I have all I need and then some. I even have this computer and an ISP that I don't
> have to have to live. We sort of get confused about what we need and what we just
> have to have to satisfy the flesh.

Amen to that too. If the Promise Keepers had spent all of the time
(let's
just leave the money aside for right now) they expended on their trip to
Washington, DC on actively bettering someone else's life for a day:
helping
paint a handicapped person's house, or visiting an old folks' home, or
cleaning up a polluted stream, or something else like that instead of
gyrating around yammering about how they're going to reclaim their own
families, I can't help but feel that it would have been far, far more
constructive.

> Grace and peace.

Grace and peace to you too.

Raoul

- Raoul D. Xemblinosky III -=-=-=-=-=-=- -- . --- .-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

a.f.k-m.n "So Raoul, get ready to pack your bags
alt.flame and leave the nose."
alt.evil - THOMAS J. HARDEN, 1 May 1997

Rev. Don R. Fauquier, D.D.

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

> [...]

> > > believing what the son of Malcolm (the Capitalist Toolslurper) Forbes
> > > wants me to believe.
> >
> > Hey, who cares what he wants you to believe. You ought to at least have
> > an open enough mind to see other points of view, whether you agree with
> > them or not. To dismiss them out of hand signifies more of your mindset
> > than anything of Forbes.
>
> Believe me, I've been subjected to the fucking trickle-down theory in
> all of its ramifications since before I was old enough to vote. It's
> just that I have never been wealthy enough or gullible enough to endorse
> it.
>
> Which of the two are you?
>

> - Raoul D. Xemblinosky III -=-=-=-=-=-=- -- . --- .-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

> a.f.k-m.n "Meow meow Henrietta Pussycat meow meow
> alt.flame meow The Presidents of the United States
> alt.evil of America meow Kitty?" -- Matt Bruce

Rev. Don R. Fauquier, D.D.

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Yeah, what do you think of that? Are we saying that the liberal media in this
country is protecting a God fearing Christian group, normally referred to as
the right wing and hate mongers? God is wonderful, isn't he.

Grace and peace.

Don

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III wrote:

> Yamudda Wezamibootz wrote:
> >
> > Mike Doughney <mi...@mtd.com> whined:
> > > I'm very distressed that there are no coherent dissenting voices
> > > getting any real exposure in American media, and if anything, the few
> > > statements that do appear seem to be completely out of touch with the
> > > reality of PK spokesmen's statments and rally images.
> >
> > If the dissenting voices aren't coherent, whose fault is that?
>
> I myself would blame the reactionary plutocrats who control the media,
> thereby miscasting any dissenting voices as "extremists." For example,
> the sad excuse for a newspaper with which my city is saddled wrote a
> glowing endorsement of the Promise Keepers on its op-ed page, and then
> put right alongside it a blurb about some "Lesbian Avengers" who took
> off their tops to protest their march on Washington. In a part of the
> USA where people still write letters to the editor in crayon, this is
> tantamount to suggesting that only a topless bulldyke could oppose the
> Promise Keepers: a fact that the shitstains who edit our newspaper know
> full well. They may have had a sense of ethics back in journalism
> school, but they've long since peddled it to Al Neuharth and his bean
> counters.

> - Raoul D. Xemblinosky III -=-=-=-=-=-=- -- . --- .-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> a.f.k-m.n "Meow meow Henrietta Pussycat meow meow
> alt.flame meow The Presidents of the United States
> alt.evil of America meow Kitty?" -- Matt Bruce

> - http://super.zippo.com/~shpxurnq -=-=- hfw sux -=-=-=- mhm 15x12 -=

Deana M. Holmes (NED for OTs Series)

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

chr...@minn.net (Christopher Lyman) wrote:

>One my favorite satirical writers, "BartCop", pointed out that PK charges
>$60 a head for their stadium events. When you consider that your typical
>major-league stadium seats at least 50,000 people, that's *$3,000,000*
>gross income per event, and that doesn't count revenues from sales of
>books, t-shirts, etc.
>
>Whatever else PK may be, it is a *major* money maker.

I believe PK's annual budget is $117 million. A local talk show host
(who also calls the group the "Promise Makers" because they haven't shown
they can keep their promises yet) said he was just waiting for the
financial scandal to erupt because that's a *lot* of money.

Deana Holmes
Webmistress, http://promisecreepers.org -- the PK alternative
Currently under construction--send me your links!
mir...@xmission.com

Lee Jackson Beauregard

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

"Raoul D. Xemblinosky III" <rao...@decaxp.bungmunch.edu> wrote:

>Amen. I don't necessarily begrudge the millionaires a gold-plated
>Mercedes or two. But the utter lack of concern they and their political
>arm, the Republican Party, display for those who have never had the chance
>to break even makes me want to vomit.

The Demoquacks and Repiglicans are all in the pockets of the rich. The
party of the jackass just does a better job of claiming they aren't.

>Amen to that too. If the Promise Keepers had spent all of the time
>(let's just leave the money aside for right now) they expended on their
>trip to Washington, DC on actively bettering someone else's life for a
>day: helping paint a handicapped person's house, or visiting an old folks'
>home, or cleaning up a polluted stream, or something else like that
>instead of gyrating around yammering about how they're going to reclaim
>their own families, I can't help but feel that it would have been far, far
>more constructive.

The thing I find most bothersome about PK is its homophobia. I'm not gay,
but I think what two consenting (and not otherwise attached) adults do
behind closed doors is their own damn business. As far as their main
concern goes, what I'm hearing from PK sounds like an honest attempt to get
wayward men to change their ways, and what I'm hearing from their critics
is a lot of ill-founded and unfounded accusations and waving of bloody
shirts.

The NOW goes around screaming that men are pigs. PK says, OK, men are
pigs, so now let's try to get them not to be pigs. And Patricia Ireland is
having a cow about it.

They do say that the husband should be the main authority in the
household. My own belief is that the authority should be divided according
to the strengths and weaknesses of the husband and the wife.

Having never actually attended a PK rally, I could of course be wrong; and
I suspect attending one or two would be the surest way to get the truth
rather than the BS from the media.

- --
-----------============<[ Lee Jackson Beauregard ]>============-----------
PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc
If you are reading this from DejaNews, email rchason at smart dot net.
Delenda est Windoze!
=====
"That's why you have been reading me so regularly of late....You ALWAYS
read boring Usenet writers."
- Biil in <61jo7a$9...@dfw-ixnews9.ix.netcom.com>

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

Lee Jackson Beauregard wrote:

> "Raoul D. Xemblinosky III" <rao...@decaxp.bungmunch.edu> wrote:
>
> >Amen. I don't necessarily begrudge the millionaires a gold-plated
> >Mercedes or two. But the utter lack of concern they and their political
> >arm, the Republican Party, display for those who have never had the chance
> >to break even makes me want to vomit.
>
> The Demoquacks and Repiglicans are all in the pockets of the rich. The
> party of the jackass just does a better job of claiming they aren't.

I agree. I voted for Clinton not because I looked forward to a Clinton
presidency, but because he wasn't Bob Dole or George Bush. I can't even
remember the last time I voted for someone at the state or national
level
because I thought s/he would do a great job in a particular office.

> >Amen to that too. If the Promise Keepers had spent all of the time
> >(let's just leave the money aside for right now) they expended on their
> >trip to Washington, DC on actively bettering someone else's life for a
> >day: helping paint a handicapped person's house, or visiting an old folks'
> >home, or cleaning up a polluted stream, or something else like that
> >instead of gyrating around yammering about how they're going to reclaim
> >their own families, I can't help but feel that it would have been far, far
> >more constructive.
>
> The thing I find most bothersome about PK is its homophobia. I'm not gay,
> but I think what two consenting (and not otherwise attached) adults do
> behind closed doors is their own damn business.

I completely agree. I haven't had any gays scream that I ought to be
lynched for posting to flame groups or driving too fast; it behooves
me to stay off of their case too.

> As far as their main
> concern goes, what I'm hearing from PK sounds like an honest attempt to get
> wayward men to change their ways, and what I'm hearing from their critics
> is a lot of ill-founded and unfounded accusations and waving of bloody
> shirts.

I myself am more bothered by the rhetoric of those who defend PK in the
local papers. As someone who tries to be a practicing Christian, I'm
glad to see anyone working to build up their faith. But it scares me
to read local women singing the praises of the PK agenda. It's fine
with me if a wife wants her husband to lead her around by the nose, but
imbuing this arrangement with a divine sanction that simply does not
exist is bound to have a drastic effect on the sons and (especially) the
daughters of such a marriage.

> The NOW goes around screaming that men are pigs. PK says, OK, men are
> pigs, so now let's try to get them not to be pigs. And Patricia Ireland is
> having a cow about it.

Patricia Ireland and her constant yawping have done more to shoot NOW
in the ass than a batallion of Bill McCartneys could ever do in their
wildest dreams. She and her minions have alienated countless men of
good will, not to mention the countless women who know from experience
that the male gender, while not without its myriad of shortcomings, is
at least a couple of notches above the porcine.

> They do say that the husband should be the main authority in the
> household. My own belief is that the authority should be divided according
> to the strengths and weaknesses of the husband and the wife.

As is the case in my own very happy marriage. Almost invariably, one
or the other of us knows better or feels more strongly. And if there
happens to be a tie, we don't go rooting through the New Testament.
We just reach for the checkbook and buy it, whatever it is.

> Having never actually attended a PK rally, I could of course be wrong; and
> I suspect attending one or two would be the surest way to get the truth
> rather than the BS from the media.

I couldn't bear going, myself. But I am interested in hearing more
from disinterested observers.

- Raoul D. Xemblinosky III -=-=-=-=-=-=- -- . --- .-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

a.f.k-m.n "Alt.fan.karl-malden.nose is perhaps the most
alt.flame successful Harvard colonization attempt."
alt.evil - Susan Marie Groppi, 1996

J Hern

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

>The thing I find most bothersome about PK is its homophobia. I'm not gay,
>but I think what two consenting (and not otherwise attached) adults do
>behind closed doors is their own damn business

That's about the same impression I get. But I realize that they have no
choice but to denounce homosexuality, it's literally their absolute
authoritarian belief. There's no way around it. It's helpless to get them
to think it's not immoral. But at least they aren't preaching to eradicate
them. I've heard their message and it's one of welcoming to change. That's
not very reassuring to the homosexual that knows what he is is okay, but to
the Christian man who has homosexual tendencies and WANTS to change, I think
it's a good thing, at least in the short run.

> As far as their main
>concern goes, what I'm hearing from PK sounds like an honest attempt to get
>wayward men to change their ways, and what I'm hearing from their critics
>is a lot of ill-founded and unfounded accusations and waving of bloody
>shirts.

True also. Really they don't preach male superiority in the manner
Patricia Ireland would have you believe, but nonetheless, it boils down to
the absolute final decision is the mans (this is also Mormon-esque) . BUT,
the man also takes responsibility for the family as a whole, and if the
wife, say, files the taxes wrong and one of them has to go to jail, the man
is to take the punishment, even if his wife committed the crime. That's a
lot less harsh then the "male domination" message ol' Pat preaches.
However, I will ask this: What if the woman doesn't WANT her husband to take
the fall for her mistakes. And what does this say about the ethics involved
in someone else taking the punishment deserved to another? Hmm..

>The NOW goes around screaming that men are pigs. PK says, OK, men are
>pigs, so now let's try to get them not to be pigs. And Patricia Ireland is
>having a cow about it.

I agree.

>They do say that the husband should be the main authority in the
>household. My own belief is that the authority should be divided according
>to the strengths and weaknesses of the husband and the wife.

That works better in theory than what the PK's propose, but it is
impossible to develop a working theory where two individuals (husband/wife,
gay couple, two equal CEO's of a company, etc) have exactly equal power.
Eventually, it comes to an empasse.

>Having never actually attended a PK rally, I could of course be wrong; and
>I suspect attending one or two would be the surest way to get the truth
>rather than the BS from the media.

CSpan broadcasted the entire thing.

Joe Hern
J...@Hern.com

The Badger

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Laura Akers wrote:

> Oze McCallum (Nospam...@ever.com) wrote:
> : jbwebb wrote:
> :
> : <snip>
> :
> : > Remember how he ridiculed MMM's message - which was basically the
> : > same (respect your wife, family, community)? What's
> : > the difference here, huh?????
> :
> : <snip>
> :
> : While I do agree that the messages were similar, the difference was
> that
> : the MMM was designed ONLY for black men. IOW, it was an attempt to
> : separate on the basis of race, whereas the PK rallies have made it a
>
> : point to try and include all races.

> But it was only open to men. So what the hell's the difference?
> Which
> brings up another issue: who is supposed to be the spiritual leader in

> single-parent family that has only a mother? Is she supposed to go out
> and
> find someone to oppress her?

Frighteningly, yes. The message to homosexual men isn't much better,
"What you're doing is unnatural and a sin, but we'll accept you because
Jesus says to" (http://www2.promisekeepers.org/2a92.htm). The real
"prize" goes to homosexual women, who are not even mentioned in any of
their liturature I've seen (I'm making this set of assertions based on
the premise that they do not want women at their events as attendees
("We want the men to be able to give total focus to the day, a task made
ore challenging when family members are present and may require care and
attention."
(http://www2.promisekeepers.org/manual/97pkconf/standgap2.htm) (sounds
like the wives are being lumped in with the children as needing to be
taken care of!) Which returns us to the old saw that the only role for a
woman is wife and mother. :P (though (quoted from
http://www2.promisekeepers.org/2cf2.htm) "approximately 50 percent of
the several thousand volunteers who typically work at a PK stadium
conference are women.")

For a laugh see how PK Xtians merchandise:
http://www2.promisekeepers.org/manual/sitg/sitg-resources.htm

The Badger
http://www.mnsinc.com/weyr/index.html

Don White

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Badger, note the PK ad is from Colorado, where Dr James Dobson took
"his" Focus on the Family show/organization, a couple years ago, from
California. I always thought that was for 2 reasons: 1) He liked to
ski, and the more worrisome, 2) He imagined "taking over" Colorado like
the Mormons have Utah (and maybe Idaho) for the right wing evangelism
movement. Al a the anti-homosexual et al. constitutional amendment
recelty struck down by the Courts, but urged by FoF. I think Dobson
sees himself as the Western counterpart to Pat Robinson's Eastern focus.
Don White.

Don White

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

I see PK as taken over by Jame Dobson from its founder, who was casting
about for something to do (other than honest work.) It's hard to
estimate how much these "operators" skim off their flock, but it is
bound to be in the many millions a year. We ought to get together and
post a reward for a copy of these guys tax returns. That would make
intersting reading, I'm sure. Don White

Don White

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

> [...]
> > household. My own belief is that the authority should be divided according
> > to the strengths and weaknesses of the husband and the wife.
>
> As is the case in my own very happy marriage. Almost invariably, one
> or the other of us knows better or feels more strongly. And if there
> happens to be a tie, we don't go rooting through the New Testament.
> We just reach for the checkbook and buy it, whatever it is.
>
> > Having never actually attended a PK rally, I could of course be wrong; and
> > I suspect attending one or two would be the surest way to get the truth
> > rather than the BS from the media.
>
> I couldn't bear going, myself. But I am interested in hearing more
> from disinterested observers.
>
> - Raoul D. Xemblinosky III -=-=-=-=-=-=- -- . --- .-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> a.f.k-m.n "Alt.fan.karl-malden.nose is perhaps the most
> alt.flame successful Harvard colonization attempt."

I found what both of you said to be very interesting and informative.
My problem with PK is not what is says it is about, nor with the vast
majority of men who are sincere in their undertaking to be better fathes
and husbands, but I am always suspicious of a group led by men like
those in PK who were casting about for something to do (instead of
getting a job and working) or like the wannabee Western Pope, James
Dobson, who aspires to have political control of Colorado. Don White

Luree

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

: On Mon, 6 Oct 1997 us...@msn.com wrote:
>:
>: :I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
>: :of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
>: :great Nation so that it might once again stand for true American values,
>: :strong families, blacks, whites, living together, in haromany. Men providing
>: :for their wives and children.
>: :Perry Murtz
>:
This has to be a joke!!! Of course, we all know that religion kept
people in the dark ages, and stopped progress of many medical
discoveries. People who dared to express an independent thought were
tortured and burned. (What a nice god, eh?) Isn't the Catholic
religion designed to keep the Vatican rich and women in their place?
Thank goodness, (not god), that some of the people in North America
have some common sense. Would you really want to live under a
repressive religious rule, like Islam or other fanatical countries?
You are using religion to suppress any democratic progress our
founding fathers made. Now that is truly evil!

I think I understand now. Promise Keepers is really a Satanic plot to
take over the minds of children and control any free thought in this
country.

Don't Christians realize that mature adults are able to distinguish
between right and wrong without some fierce daddy threaghtening them
with everlasting punishment?

I feel very threatened by your religion when people such as Pat
Robertson and Pat Buchanan step into the political arena. These people
seek to impose theocratic rule on our government, and it is
frightening. When I hear televangelists ranting and raving about
death for homosexuals, I am frightened, for who will they choose next
as "undesirable?" When people feel they have a perfect right to
murder a doctor at an abortion clinic, I get very testy. Any religion
(and this includes most) that must threaten people to get
them to believe falls short of being anything I care to be a part of.
But, if it makes you happy to live under the continual threat of hell
fire and suffering from the tunnel-vision of religion, I have great
pity for you."

The difference between a religion and a delusion is the number of
people who share it.
--

"Resistance is Futile!" - New Microsoft slogan
* Celebrities, Animations, Controversy and More *

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Don White wrote:

> Raoul D. Xemblinosky III wrote:

Now that you've put it that way, the PK ethos is a little suspicious.
Around here, the PKs tend to be churchgoing men with families and jobs,
going in for what I would assume is a breast-beating brush-up on their
self perceived roles as husbands and fathers. I have no real problem
with that. But the people who are making PK their life are rather
scary: more than anything else it reminds me of Amway at Nuremberg.

Melanie

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

I guess there are conspiracy theories on both sides. I think it more
likely that FOF got a good deal on property in Colorado. It is
expensive to run a ministry from California, and the cost of property to
expand is high, especially in S. CA. There could be a correlation in
the fact that PK is supportive of FOF and vice versa.

I think you know little about Dobson as an individual or FOF for that
matter.

--Melanie

Melanie

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Luree wrote:
Both religion and humanism have been used to justify many evils.
Greed has probably done more harm than either.

God isn't threatening with punishment for doing wrong alone, otherwise
we'd all be going to Hell anyway. He is telling you where separation
from Him leads.

There is sometimes a fine line between living under some principles
found in religion and Christianity, and living in a theocracy where
belief is "forced." If you "force" someone to believe, it isn't belief
and is a moot point, anyway. Christianity, by definition, must be
freely chosen.

Pat Robertson, to me, is no less trustworthy than the clowns that run
already. He has every right as a citizen to run, you have every right
not to support him. You have crossed things a bit, though. Buchanan is
not, nor has he been, a religious leader to my knowledge. He was a
writer, editorialist, and commentator on television. I'm not aware of
him being involved in any ministries. I like some of his ideas, and not
others.

At least if you are going to oppose someone, do it accurately.

--Melanie

Melanie

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Go ahead, Don. I think you might be surprised. You know the national
media has done programs on FOF in the past and tried to find fault and
had a difficult time (except for finding fault with their views on
abortion, etc.) I've also found that when people call FOF for help,
that money is not requested or sought. Their fund-raising appeals over
the radio are far less than many programs that run off of listener
support. If you write a letter with a problem or question, you will get
a response in return. Personally, I have had a counselor call me in
relation to a letter regarding my son; and I have had them send me free
materials when asking other questions. No attempt was made to collect.
Actually, I think it is the non-focus on such things that has endeared
them to so many and why FOF has grown.

So...why not take your own challenge. I'm sure the salaries paid to FOF
staff are a matter of public record. I can't recall the form no. off
the top of my head, but non-profits have to file it every year, and it
is public record. You can get one for Planned Parenthood, too, by the
way. AT least FOF is not promoting their agenda using my tax money
(even if it is indirectly.)

--Melanie

Melanie

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Andy, You will fail. The motivation for some of the followers may be
religion. Just as often, if not more so, power and greed are the true
motivators. Athiesm does nothing to remove those temptations.

--Melanie

Andy Mulcahy wrote:

> sha...@citicom.com (pauly) wrote:
>
> >i guess its just by chance that as church attendence has gone down
> >the crime rate goes up?
> >with or without religion RIGHT IS RIGHT EVEN IF NOBODY DOES IT, WRONG
> >IS WRONG EVEN IF EVERYBODY DOES IT!
> >It is a sad truth that most people need something to guide them in
> >doing right. once again i will say i do not believe in god.
> >i do believe in good and evil
> >i do believe evil is more of a temptation then good
> >i do believe if evil wins the fight then our planet and us are doomed.
> >shadow#citicom.com
> Evil has been winning all along. We have
> slaughtered over ten million of our fellow humans in this
> century alone. We have had Christians killing Jews, Sikhs
> killing Hindus, Orthodox Serbs killing Muslims, Catholics
> killing Protestants, and, as we speak, religious fanatics
> preparing their bombs to wreak vengeance on those who
> adhere to other beliefs than theirs.
> What atheists are trying to do is take away the
> motivation -- and most importantly -- the justification,
> to do evil.
> Cheers,
> Andy
> Let us support and help one another, for we are on our own
> in this vast uncaring universe"

Melanie

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Wow...you really are paranoid of Dobson, aren't you. Did you bother to
note that Dobson was not exactly a pauper when he got into his program?
If he really wanted political control, he could have had it long ago.

Frankly, I'd have a hard time believing that even authoring all the
books he has written would be hard work...or didn't you go to school and
ever try to write anything? Not to mention the other activities he is
involved in. You forgot actors and actresses...although I imagine they
would consider some of the grueling hours they sometimes put in to be
work. Or does work only fit your definition.

I can't speak for McCartney. I don't know anything about him
personally, or his salary or if he is even paid.

I don't agree with Dobson 100% of the time, and I'm sure I have problems
with certain aspects of PK, but this conspiracy stuff is downright
ludicrous.

--Melanie

pauly

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

On 10 Oct 1997 16:27:29 GMT, "Eileen Camilleri"
<el...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Oh come on stop seeing ghost in every corner!
for starters i am not a religous person.
but it seems to me that alot of the old fashion values our
grandparents believed in are really important.
i have been there and done that.
and i regret many of the things that i have done.
things i will have to live with and deal with for
the rest of my like. things that if i had a true
value and morale system i would not have done.
the promise keepers are not going to take
over this nation, what they may do is
bring back some of these old fashion ideas\like cheating on your wife
is not good
killing people is not good
ect ect ect
if these morales held for over 2000 years then maybe they are
important!
but then again i dont know why i am wasting my words on you.
you must think that Dr laura on the radio is a kook too.
sha...@citicom.com

pauly

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

I guesOn Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:50:32 GMT, lu...@islandnet.com (Luree )
wrote:

>: On Mon, 6 Oct 1997 us...@msn.com wrote:
>>:
>>: :I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so afraid
>>: :of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of this once
>>: :great N

>The difference between a religion and a delusion is the number of
>people who share it.
>--
>
> "Resistance is Futile!" - New Microsoft slogan
>* Celebrities, Animations, Controversy and More *
>* http://www.islandnet.com/~luree *

Andy Mulcahy

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

sha...@citicom.com (pauly) wrote:

>i guess its just by chance that as church attendence has gone down
>the crime rate goes up?
>with or without religion RIGHT IS RIGHT EVEN IF NOBODY DOES IT, WRONG
>IS WRONG EVEN IF EVERYBODY DOES IT!
>It is a sad truth that most people need something to guide them in
>doing right. once again i will say i do not believe in god.
>i do believe in good and evil
>i do believe evil is more of a temptation then good
>i do believe if evil wins the fight then our planet and us are doomed.
>shadow#citicom.com

Eileen Camilleri

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

pauly <sha...@citicom.com> wrote in article
<3441c3f0...@news.citicom.com>...

> On 10 Oct 1997 16:27:29 GMT, "Eileen Camilleri"
> <el...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> >Chest beating:
> >I am man, hear me speak. I am Christian man, hear me repent. I am head
of
> >the house, watch me lead. And, Listen World, to my promises.

> >> Why do you care?
> >
> >Because I am trying to understand the motivations for such a mass public
> >display of what are normally private matters. Such as, personal
> >repentance, adultery, your relationship with your families.
>

> Oh come on stop seeing ghost in every corner!

I'm seeing ghosts? I thought I was asking a question. I wanted to know
from PKers why they went - what need motivated them to go. Some of the
criticisms I've seen in the press and here seemed very wild and scary so I
was asking PKers themselves. I received a few nice replies in email. I
also read several of the articles offered at the Promise Keepers website
since my original post. They claim they have no political agenda but I
remain skeptical because they chose Washington, D. C. as their meeting
place. Marches on Washington are usually political statements with the
message: We're oppressed and we're not going to take it anymore! While
the PK rally said no such thing, the message was implicit.

An email answer told me that they went to D.C. because the Jews go to their
capital, Jerusalem, to repent. Of course, Jerusalem is the religious seat
of Judaism (as well as Christianity and Islam) and is the site of their
ancient temple and Washington simple equals politics and press.

Furthermore, I believe that many men in general and Christian men in
particular do feel disenfranchised by today's society. The more
fundamentalist their philosophy, the more displaced they feel.

> for starters i am not a religous person.
> but it seems to me that alot of the old fashion values our
> grandparents believed in are really important.
> i have been there and done that.
> and i regret many of the things that i have done.
> things i will have to live with and deal with for
> the rest of my like. things that if i had a true
> value and morale system i would not have done.
> the promise keepers are not going to take
> over this nation, what they may do is
> bring back some of these old fashion ideas\like cheating on your wife
> is not good

I don't consider this an "old-fashioned" value. It is a contract which
most people enter into when they commit themselves to an exclusive
relationship. My husband and I promised each other this when we married.
We tend to take our promises seriously.

> killing people is not good
> ect ect ect

Who says it is good?

> if these morales held for over 2000 years then maybe they are
> important!

If you're talking about the 10 Commandments, they have been around for 6 to
7 thousands years. In general, without taking them one for one, I agree
that they are a prescription for leading a decent life.
Too bad you didn't discover them sooner, you may have saved yourself a lot
of grief.

> but then again i dont know why i am wasting my words on you.

It sounds like you're blaming atheists for your own lack of morality.

> you must think that Dr laura on the radio is a kook too.
> sha...@citicom.com

Sorry, but I never heard of Dr. Laura.

Eileen

Laura Akers

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Oze McCallum (Nospam...@ever.com) wrote:
: Laura Akers wrote:
:
: <snip>
:
: > But it was only open to men. So what the hell's the difference? Which

: > brings up another issue: who is supposed to be the spiritual leader in a
: > single-parent family that has only a mother? Is she supposed to go out and
: > find someone to oppress her?
: >
: > Laura
:
: N-o-o-o-o .... but I hope that she could find someone to share her life
: with, and if together they made the decision to follow what is being
: promoted at the PK rallies, then more power to them.
:
: Of course women in single parent families are the spiritual leaders of
: their families.

Really? Then why were no single mothers invited to the party?

:
: Why do you think that the men that go to these rallies only want to
: oppress women?

I don't think that's the *only* thing they want to do. I just think its
the most disgusting thing they want to do.

From what I've been reading about this, the husband and
: wives together have decided this is the best course of action for them.
: IOW, they made a CHOICE about how to split up responsibilities.

Funny...I haven't read *anything* which says that the woman gets any
input. He comes home and *tells* her how its going to be from now on. I
have no problem (except philosophically) with them as a couple making this
decision. But I have a big problem with one person deciding how its going
to be for both people.

:
: I thought you were pro-choice? <to Muriel - Hmmmmmm?>

So I am, Oze. And I've already said that that's why I don't like the PKs:
because they would take choice away from women. Are you ignoring what
I've said in the past so you can try to show how I'm being inconsistent?
Other people have memories--so they will remember what you found it too
inconvenient to hold in your sensory register.

Laura

John Hosie

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Luree wrote:
<snip>

> The difference between a religion and a delusion is the number of
> people who share it.
> --
>
> "Resistance is Futile!" - New Microsoft slogan

How sad that you feel that way.

Have you considered where we might be without religion?

- Nazi Germany

- The Killing Fields

- "Body Parts Factories" in Chinese prisons

- Idi Amin, Uganda

- Rwanda

- Soviet Union

- Serbians in Bosnia

- Luree?
--
With deep humility, and overwhelming thankfulness
for the gift that we have been given

In Jesus Christ,

John W. Hosie III

<*)))><

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Oze McCallum wrote:

> Raoul D. Xemblinosky III wrote:
>
> <snip.

> > > <sigh> Pretty sad and weak.
> >
> > I notice that you snipped the little grammar flame with which you began
> > this part of our little conversation. Now, that's pretty sad and weak.
> >
> What are you talking about?

Lost in the bowels of DejaNews. Nice job.

> > > <snip>

> > > How do you know? That's the point. You SAY they put is there "to suck up
> > > to the shit-rich twats they want so desperately to advertise", but you
> > > don't know. Unless you're there when they make the decision, can hear it
> > > for yourself, and see the layout before it's printed.
> >
> > OK. I give up. Maybe we can ask the omniscient STEVE FORBES for a
> > ruling on this question. You seem to be willing enough to take STEVE
> > FORBES's word for just about anything.
>

> Steve Forbes? You were talking about a newspaper editorials and the
> placement of them.

I was talking about the placement of a newspaper editorial on PK side by
side with the one and only article the newspaper saw fit to publish on
the opposition to PK, which, since it was (again) the only information
readers of the newspaper would have about opposition to PK, would lead
the local Fundamentalist knuckle-draggers to believe that the opposition
to PK was a bunch of topless Lesbians. The reference to Steve Forbes
was a dig at your apparent willingness to accept whatever Steve Forbes
or his flacks say as the gospel truth. I'm sorry you missed it. So
far from thinking Steve Forbes is an omniscient human being competent
to rule upon all possible disagreements between individuals that I think
he would make an even more disastrous President than Ross Perot. And
that's saying something.

> That's what the whole thread was about. How some newspaper placed
> editorials, you know - OPINION pieces, side-by-side and that was
> supposed to mean some weird bias.

The editorial was presented as the editorial board's opinion. The
article about topless Lesbians protesting the PK rally was presented
as news. And in the absence of any other information about the many
other people who were neither topless, nor Lesbian, nor even female,
who protested the PK rally, it's clear that the paper was guilty of
biased reporting.

> And, of course, you KNEW why they
> placed them that way. It's a great big conspiracy, right?

No, in this case, a snotty little piss-ant conspiracy.

> Watch out, there's a black helicopter over your home.

What's all this about black helicopters, anyway? People like you
see them everywhere.

- Raoul D. Xemblinosky III -=-=-=-=-=-=- -- . --- .-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

a.f.k-m.n "So Raoul, get ready to pack your bags
alt.flame and leave the nose."
alt.evil - THOMAS J. HARDEN, 1 May 1997

Buzzygirl (Jackie)

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

John Hosie wrote:

> Luree wrote:
> <snip>
> > The difference between a religion and a delusion is the number of
> > people who share it.
> > --
> >
> > "Resistance is Futile!" - New Microsoft slogan
>
> How sad that you feel that way.
>
> Have you considered where we might be without religion?

(snip)

..Sure!! A number of possibilities come to mind. How about:

- The Inquistion would not have happened, and many people would not have
been tortured and burned for being "heretics";

- The majority of Native Americans would probably still be able to
understand the languages of their ancestors today. They also might not
have lost their traditions and culture to the degree they did if it
hadn't been for well-meaning, but ultimately misguided "Christian"
missionaries who felt the need to drive out their "savage nature" and
replace it with more "civilized" (read: "European") cultural/religious
traditions;

- Don't forget how incredibly "pro-science" the Church was in the Middle
Ages! The silencing of Galileo is but one little transgression that the
Church only recently apologized for. I often wonder how much farther
advanced science would be today if the most brilliant minds of the
Middle Ages and the Enlightenment hadn't been threatened with
excommunication for speaking their views;

- The Salem Witch Trials (which were sanctioned by so-called "religious"
persons) would not have been a dark chapter in the history of this
nation;

- Religious wars, the Babylon of competing religious factions and their
various beliefs, all supposedly having a direct link to the "Truth" as
God deems it to be so; and the untold misery of the suffering and
persecution of non-believers, all committed in the name of "religion".

I am convinced that Jesus would be appalled by some of what's being
perpetrated in his name- I don't excuse other religions for their
trangressions either, but out of all the world's major religions, it
would seem that traditional "Christianity" (what I refer to as
"Churchianity") has made the most noise and has caused the most misery.

And, IMHO, I don't believe for one minute that Jesus would approve of
any of it. Man created this religious confusion, not God, so why should
I believe in anything that man-based religion has to say about the
divine?

One does not need to snub God in order to point out that there have
been many horrors committed in God's name by people who, by virtue of
their religious beliefs, feel that they have been appointed by God to be
the judge and jury for people that somehow have fallen afoul of those
beliefs.

Oze McCallum

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Raoul D. Xemblinosky III wrote:

<snip.

> > > In your case, *ad homunculum* is the more appropriate term.
> >
> > <sigh> Pretty sad and weak.
>
> I notice that you snipped the little grammar flame with which you began
> this part of our little conversation. Now, that's pretty sad and weak.

What are you talking about?

> > <snip>

> > > They put it in that "particluar" place to suck up to the shit-rich
> > > twats they want so desperately to advertise in the pathetic waste of
> > > good newsprint they call a newspaper. As is, of course, their right.
> > > I just hate it when the same people suck up to the Radical Wacko Right
> > > and their megabucks while pretending to practice "objectivity."
> >
> > How do you know? That's the point. You SAY they put is there "to suck up
> > to the shit-rich twats they want so desperately to advertise", but you
> > don't know. Unless you're there when they make the decision, can hear it
> > for yourself, and see the layout before it's printed.
>
> OK. I give up. Maybe we can ask the omniscient STEVE FORBES for a
> ruling on this question. You seem to be willing enough to take STEVE
> FORBES's word for just about anything.

Steve Forbes? You were talking about a newspaper editorials and the
placement of them.

That's what the whole thread was about. How some newspaper placed

editorials, you know - OPINION pieces, side-by-side and that was

supposed to mean some weird bias. And, of course, you KNEW why they

placed them that way. It's a great big conspiracy, right?

Watch out, there's a black helicopter over your home.

Sheesh.

<snip>

Oze

Laura Akers

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Oze McCallum (Nospam...@ever.com) wrote:
: Laura Akers wrote:
: >
: > Oze McCallum (Nospam...@ever.com) wrote:
: > : Laura Akers wrote:
: > :
: > : <snip>
: > :
: > : > But it was only open to men. So what the hell's the difference? Which
: > : > brings up another issue: who is supposed to be the spiritual leader in a
: > : > single-parent family that has only a mother? Is she supposed to go out and
: > : > find someone to oppress her?
: > : >
: > : > Laura
: > :
: > : N-o-o-o-o .... but I hope that she could find someone to share her life
: > : with, and if together they made the decision to follow what is being
: > : promoted at the PK rallies, then more power to them.
: > :
: > : Of course women in single parent families are the spiritual leaders of
: > : their families.
: >
: > Really? Then why were no single mothers invited to the party?
:
: It's a men's Christian outreach. Are single fathers invited to women's
: Christian outreach gatherings?

Hee-hee! Oze forgot what started this. Oze: you insinuated that the
Million Man march was *racist* because it was an event which primarily
addressed men of color. So if the MMM was racist for excluding a group
(white men--who, in fact, were NOT turned away), then the PKs must be
sexist because they excluded a group (women).

So which way do you want it, 'cause you can't have it both. Either the
MMM was *not* racist and the PKs were *not* sexist or the MMM was racist
and the PKs were sexist. So which is it?

:
: > :

: > : Why do you think that the men that go to these rallies only want to
: > : oppress women?
: >
: > I don't think that's the *only* thing they want to do. I just think its
: > the most disgusting thing they want to do.

:
: How does their "seven promises" talk about oppressing women?

There is a huge difference between the rhetoric of a group and its
actions. Are you telling me that you don't think that sending a man home
to "lay down the law," for which he needs *no* permission or approval from
his wife is not an attempt to be oppressive? That's called depotism which
is, by its nature, oppressive.

:
: From http://www2.promisekeepers.org/7p.htm
:
: THE SEVEN PROMISES OF A PROMISE KEEPER
:
:
: 1.A Promise Keeper is committed to honoring Jesus Christ through
: worship, prayer and obedience to God's Word in the power of the Holy
: Spirit.
: 2.A Promise Keeper is committed to pursuing vital relationships with a
: few other men, understanding that he needs brothers to help him keep his
: promises.
: 3.A Promise Keeper is committed to practicing spiritual, moral, ethical,
: and sexual purity.
: 4.A Promise Keeper is committed to building strong marriages and
: families through love, protection and biblical values.

And if she rejects these so-called "biblical values"?

: 5.A Promise Keeper is committed to supporting the mission of his church
: by honoring and praying for his pastor, and by actively giving his time
: and resources.
: 6.A Promise Keeper is committed to reaching beyond any racial and
: denominational barriers to demonstrate the power of biblical unity.
: 7.A Promise Keeper is committed to influencing his world, being obedient
: to the Great Commandment (see Mark 12:30-31) and the Great Commission
: (see Matthew 28:19-20 ).
:
:
: >
: > From what I've been reading about this, the husband and

: > : wives together have decided this is the best course of action for them.
: > : IOW, they made a CHOICE about how to split up responsibilities.
: >
: > Funny...I haven't read *anything* which says that the woman gets any
: > input. He comes home and *tells* her how its going to be from now on. I
: > have no problem (except philosophically) with them as a couple making this
: > decision. But I have a big problem with one person deciding how its going
: > to be for both people.
:

: The men that I have talked to that have gone to these conferences (and
: you know, the only things I've READ about this has been from second-hand
: sources) report that their wives were part of the decision process and
: encouraged them to go.

And are you saying that that was the situation in 100% of the cases?

:
: > :

: > : I thought you were pro-choice? <to Muriel - Hmmmmmm?>
: >
: > So I am, Oze. And I've already said that that's why I don't like the PKs:
: > because they would take choice away from women. Are you ignoring what
: > I've said in the past so you can try to show how I'm being inconsistent?
: > Other people have memories--so they will remember what you found it too
: > inconvenient to hold in your sensory register.

:
: Take choice away from women? Where have they said they believe this?

If one person decides how a partnership ios to be run without the okay of
the other person, that's taking choice away from that person. Why is this
so hard for you to understand?

:
: As I said, the men I've spoken to about this have all said that their
: wives wanted them to go and were happy with the results. IOW, they both
: made the decision to go this route.

And your small contact with this group is supposed to represent 100% of
it's constituency? How arrogant is that?

:
: And, BTW, I could never ignore what you said in the past.

Then you admit to consciously misrepresenting me? Really, Oze?

Your extremism
: comes through loud and clear.

Well, if you think its extreme to defend the right of *both* partners to
have a choice in how their relationship is conducted, I think that says a
lot more about you than me.

I honestly had no idea that you were off-balance.

Laura

Oze McCallum

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

From http://www2.promisekeepers.org/7p.htm

THE SEVEN PROMISES OF A PROMISE KEEPER

1.A Promise Keeper is committed to honoring Jesus Christ through
worship, prayer and obedience to God's Word in the power of the Holy
Spirit.
2.A Promise Keeper is committed to pursuing vital relationships with a
few other men, understanding that he needs brothers to help him keep his
promises.
3.A Promise Keeper is committed to practicing spiritual, moral, ethical,
and sexual purity.
4.A Promise Keeper is committed to building strong marriages and
families through love, protection and biblical values.

5.A Promise Keeper is committed to supporting the mission of his church
by honoring and praying for his pastor, and by actively giving his time
and resources.
6.A Promise Keeper is committed to reaching beyond any racial and
denominational barriers to demonstrate the power of biblical unity.
7.A Promise Keeper is committed to influencing his world, being obedient
to the Great Commandment (see Mark 12:30-31) and the Great Commission
(see Matthew 28:19-20 ).

> From what I've been reading about this, the husband and
> : wives together have decided this is the best course of action for them.
> : IOW, they made a CHOICE about how to split up responsibilities.
>
> Funny...I haven't read *anything* which says that the woman gets any
> input. He comes home and *tells* her how its going to be from now on. I
> have no problem (except philosophically) with them as a couple making this
> decision. But I have a big problem with one person deciding how its going
> to be for both people.

The men that I have talked to that have gone to these conferences (and
you know, the only things I've READ about this has been from second-hand
sources) report that their wives were part of the decision process and
encouraged them to go.

> :

> : I thought you were pro-choice? <to Muriel - Hmmmmmm?>
>
> So I am, Oze. And I've already said that that's why I don't like the PKs:
> because they would take choice away from women. Are you ignoring what
> I've said in the past so you can try to show how I'm being inconsistent?
> Other people have memories--so they will remember what you found it too
> inconvenient to hold in your sensory register.

Take choice away from women? Where have they said they believe this?

As I said, the men I've spoken to about this have all said that their

wives wanted them to go and were happy with the results. IOW, they both
made the decision to go this route.

And, BTW, I could never ignore what you said in the past. Your extremism

comes through loud and clear.

> Laura

Oze

Mick Hamblen

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

In article <3441cb7c...@news.citicom.com>, sha...@citicom.com (pauly)
wrote:

> I guesOn Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:50:32 GMT, lu...@islandnet.com (Luree )
> wrote:
>
> >: On Mon, 6 Oct 1997 us...@msn.com wrote:
> >>:
> >>: :I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you so
afraid
> >>: :of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of
this once
> >>: :great N

> >The difference between a religion and a delusion is the number of
> >people who share it.
> >--
> >
> > "Resistance is Futile!" - New Microsoft slogan

> >*************************************************
> >* Celebrities, Animations, Controversy and More *
> >* http://www.islandnet.com/~luree *
> >*************************************************
> >

> i guess its just by chance that as church attendence has gone down
> the crime rate goes up?

What does religion have to do with the crime rate? Considerthe *millions*
of people thrown in jail for consuming some kind of non-government
approved drugs. I believe the crime rate is artifically high due to
law-makers who have nothing better to do than to try and save us from
ourselves.

FREEDOM. Whats That?????

> with or without religion RIGHT IS RIGHT EVEN IF NOBODY DOES IT, WRONG
> IS WRONG EVEN IF EVERYBODY DOES IT!
> It is a sad truth that most people need something to guide them in
> doing right. once again i will say i do not believe in god.
> i do believe in good and evil
> i do believe evil is more of a temptation then good
> i do believe if evil wins the fight then our planet and us are doomed.
> shadow#citicom.com

Mick Hamblen

Sunshine

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97
says...

>I guesOn Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:50:32 GMT, lu...@islandnet.com (Luree )
>wrote:
>
>>: On Mon, 6 Oct 1997 us...@msn.com wrote:
>>>:
>>>: :I wanted to reply to you to ask just one question "What are you
so afraid
>>>: :of"? Is it you are worried that GOD just might move the people of
this once
>>>: :great N
>>The difference between a religion and a delusion is the number of
>>people who share it.
>>--
>>
>> "Resistance is Futile!" - New Microsoft slogan
>>*************************************************
>>* Celebrities, Animations, Controversy and More *
>>* http://www.islandnet.com/~luree *
>>*************************************************
>>
>i guess its just by chance that as church attendence has gone down
>the crime rate goes up?

I gues its just by chance that as the Republicans have taken over the
government, church attendance has gone down.

>with or without religion RIGHT IS RIGHT EVEN IF NOBODY DOES IT, WRONG
>IS WRONG EVEN IF EVERYBODY DOES IT!

That's correct. That's why many people do not have to be theatened with
fire and brimstone to do the correct thing.

> It is a sad truth that most people need something to guide them in
> doing right. once again i will say i do not believe in god.
> i do believe in good and evil

So do I. Unfortunately, many people no longer believe in evil.

> i do believe evil is more of a temptation then good

As a matter of fact, evil in the form of greed is the foundation stone
of capitlism - as in the greedies son-of-a-bitch-on-the-block wins the
game.

> i do believe if evil wins the fight then our planet and us are
doomed.

I agree. Support progressives.

>shadow#citicom.com

Sunshine

--
Sunshine for Women (and Men Who Love Women)
http://www.pinn.net/~sunshine/main.html

Rev Chuck

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Keeripes. Sounds like as much fun as an Amish wake.

Kalle Helenius wrote:

> Laura Akers wrote:
> > :

> > : THE SEVEN PROMISES OF A PROMISE KEEPER
> > :
> > :
> > : 1.A Promise Keeper is committed to honoring Jesus Christ through
> > : worship, prayer and obedience to God's Word in the power of the Holy
> > : Spirit.
>

> And god's word in the bible explicitly says that the woman has *no*say
> in *any* matter. Not in the home, not in the church, where they should
> not even talk at all.

> > : 2.A Promise Keeper is committed to pursuing vital relationships with a
> > : few other men, understanding that he needs brothers to help him keep his
> > : promises.
>

> Strenght (and stupidity) in numbers. If you are not strong enough on
> your own, what makes you think that a number of "brothers" are better
> than, say their *wife*? Of mother, or father?

> > : 3.A Promise Keeper is committed to practicing spiritual, moral, ethical,
> > : and sexual purity.
>

> And so, anybody who does not share their ethical values and morals, is
> shunned, or silenced.

> > : 4.A Promise Keeper is committed to building strong marriages and
> > : families through love, protection and biblical values.
>

> And does she want to do this? Biblical values remove the choice from the
> women *entirely*!!! GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD!

> > : 5.A Promise Keeper is committed to supporting the mission of his church
> > : by honoring and praying for his pastor, and by actively giving his time
> > : and resources.
>

> This must be drawn out by the select few who collect those resources.

> > : 6.A Promise Keeper is committed to reaching beyond any racial and
> > : denominational barriers to demonstrate the power of biblical unity.
>

> The demoninational barriers as defined by whom? Who says which is the
> true faith?

> > : 7.A Promise Keeper is committed to influencing his world, being obedient
> > : to the Great Commandment (see Mark 12:30-31) and the Great Commission
> > : (see Matthew 28:19-20 ).
>

> And it would indeed seem to me that the point about influencing his
> world might well turn to political matters.
>
> > Laura
> Mass indoctrination has seldom, if ever, resulted in anything good. It
> tends to remove the choices from the individual, and give them to
> whoever is in charge. (And don't say it's god!)
> --
> pqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpq
> p Kalle Helenius !!!When i was writing this i was q
> p ka...@modernsoft.fi !!thinking of the immortal q
> p Remove "spa" to reply !!words of SOKRATES who q
> p .sigmund freud !said: I DRANK WHAT?! q
> pqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpqpq

Sunshine

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

In article <61thub$ph0$1...@mark.ucdavis.edu>,
ez07...@catbert.ucdavis.edu says...

>Oze McCallum (Nospam...@ever.com) wrote:
>: Laura Akers wrote:
>:
>: <snip>
>:
>: > But it was only open to men. So what the hell's the difference?
Which
>: > brings up another issue: who is supposed to be the spiritual
leader in a
>: > single-parent family that has only a mother? Is she supposed to go
out and
>: > find someone to oppress her?
>: >
>: > Laura
>:
>: N-o-o-o-o .... but I hope that she could find someone to share her
life
>: with, and if together they made the decision to follow what is being
>: promoted at the PK rallies, then more power to them.
>:
>: Of course women in single parent families are the spiritual leaders
of
>: their families.
>
>Really? Then why were no single mothers invited to the party?
>
>:
>: Why do you think that the men that go to these rallies only want to
>: oppress women?
>
>I don't think that's the *only* thing they want to do. I just think
its
>the most disgusting thing they want to do.
>

>From what I've been reading about this, the husband and
>: wives together have decided this is the best course of action for
them.
>: IOW, they made a CHOICE about how to split up responsibilities.
>
>Funny...I haven't read *anything* which says that the woman gets any
>input. He comes home and *tells* her how its going to be from now on.
>have no problem (except philosophically) with them as a couple making
this
>decision. But I have a big problem with one person deciding how its
going
>to be for both people.
>
>:
>: I thought you were pro-choice? <to Muriel - Hmmmmmm?>
>
>So I am, Oze. And I've already said that that's why I don't like the
PKs:
>because they would take choice away from women. Are you ignoring what
>I've said in the past so you can try to show how I'm being
inconsistent?
>Other people have memories--so they will remember what you found it
too
>inconvenient to hold in your sensory register.
>

>Laura

Oze has tried to put words into my mouth, too, Laura. I understand just
what little game Oze is playing.

It is loading more messages.